Skip to main content

week 50 in pictures

this week is kind of messed up. I didn’t take any pictures until wednesday, and then those pictures got deleted. so, I have a bunch of random ones from either the weekend before, or post-wednesday… but this is (roughly) how I’m going to be plugging them in to the book. I think…

sunday:032 layla’s FIRST ‘dangly’ earrings. (yes, this is a big deal.)

monday:038 my absolute FAVORITE treat right now. super awesome, high-quality, fair trade, organic, LOCAL (made right here in seattle – I’ve even toured the factory) chocolate! this is my current bar of choice, and dark chocolate (the higher the %, the better), is a totally paleo-approved treat! L.O.V.E.

tuesday:049 micah has decided that the best utensil for eating yogurt is a plastic fork. weird kid. in an ironic twist, I sent a yogurt in shane’s lunch that day. he came home and told me that I forgot to send him a spoon, so he had to go and find one. well, they didn’t have any plastic spoons in the cafeteria, so he had to use a fork! go figure.

wednesday:041 dave surprised me with my brand new iphone 4s!!!! OMG. I kinda felt really guilty about it. like I don’t really need it and it’s all extravagant and everything. but my old 3g was kind of on the fritz and my camera was falling apart, so he decided to replace both! the camera on this thing is awesome, and I totally love it! that said, we were at church when he gave it to me, and I was really excited to fiddle around with the camera. the kids were singing in the service, so I wanted to get some pics and video (this does both). done. and then… accidentally deleted. oh well. I will say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get good pictures in our church. the lighting is funky and they always wind up dark, blurry, grainy, or everyone with demon eyes. frequently all of the above. this thing took AWESOME pictures in there! the kids are singing again on christmas eve and I can’t wait to take pictures of that so I can show off the awesome quality! (oh, and my kids singing!)

thursday:045 micah, playing at craft club.

also thursday (not sure how I’m going to work this, exactly):2011-12-15 layla brought home her ‘student of the month’ award, and we decided to go out for dinner to celebrate that (and a couple of other recent family accomplishments). after, we went over to the at&t store to see if I could find a case for my phone. I was kind of in a panic, because I have a tendency to drop phones. a lot. and this thing is made entirely of glass and the cost to replace it is through the roof! so… a case was necessary. while there, the kids had fun playing on all of the various devices. layla REALLY wants an ipad. oh, santa?!!  haha! yeah, right!

friday:005 layla made a gingerbread house at school and brought it home on friday. they went to town on it. the remains are on top of the fridge, currently, and I’m hoping they’ll just forget about it so it can disappear the way halloween candy usually does… shhh!

saturday:2011-12-17 dave and I got to have a date! my friend, angie, had brought to our attention that the SIFF cinema was going to be showing a “quote-along” version of the princess bride. um, yeah. that’s only like the best move EVER, and I know the lines, start to finish, better than anything, so we were totally there. it was so much fun. everyone was quoting, they had these inflatable plastic swords that people were dueling with, a random person in an ROUS costume that showed up in the middle of the movie… it was awesome. I even made dave a “hello. my name is… inigo montoya. you killed my father, prepare to die.” nametag.

fun week.

Comments

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually

the swimsuit rant

i’ll forewarn you that most averaged-sized women will probably not appreciate this post very much. i understand. i’ve been (either directly or indirectly) the object of various hatred more than once. i am not an average-sized woman. i’m only 5’1” on a good day, and i’ve never donated blood because most of the time (when not pregnant – and therefore not allowed), i don’t weigh enough to do so. i do not ‘diet’, so to speak, nor do i work out compulsively. i try to eat healthy food, for the most part, and i try not to sit on my butt all day. this is just the way i am. our current culture views me as ‘lucky’ to have this body type. whatever. a couple hundred years ago, people would have considered me ‘unhealthy’. i am what i am. i am small woman. as the Lord has seen fit, i am a small woman who has given birth to 3 children. as i see fit, i am a small woman who wishes to exercise a bit of modesty, even when swimming. unfortunately, the swimwear industry, seems to think that the only

adjusting my attitude

this is something i tell shane to do all the time and i really needed to tell it to myself this morning.  although i go through phases where i'm diligent and consistent about getting up early and taking care of pertinent chores, getting dressed, etc. i've been REALLY bad lately.  and it's not just the christmas break thing because i've been throwing myself and the little kids into the car in our jammies to take shane to school for a while now.  it's something that's really been bugging me, but it's just so easy to sleep as long as possible and then turn on the tv for the kids while i drink coffee and surf the internet wake up for 3 hours a little while.  i am aware that i really need to have some sort of a schedule and i need to adhere to it. so after staying up past midnight reading a book about scheduling getting motivated, i vowed to get up early - before the kids - this morning and be all dressed and have some time to myself to take care of mornin

does home ec even exist anymore?

my last post got me thinking about how i somehow missed 'learning' all of those things which are essential in running a successful home. i'm wondering who dropped the ball on this (because, i can't possibly take responsibility for my own shortcomings here). i guess traditionally, one learns these things from their parents. i suppose i did learn a lot of my domestic skills at home. for example, the husband is supposed to eat the leftovers in the fridge. when making a bed, the 'top' of the top sheet goes down so that when you fold the edge over the blanket, the 'top' side is then up. why this matters when you are just going to cover the whole thing with a pillow and comforter is totally beyond me. but that's how you do it. so yes, my mother taught me how to iron, do laundry, clean a toilet, etc. my dad taught me how to plant a garden, mow a lawn, appreciate baseball, etc. and then there's home ec. do people still take home ec? i took it