so mary asked about this, and since it’s a family favorite, i thought i’d post it. there was, at one time, a recipe for this casserole, but i’ve made it so many times it’s kind of evolved (as these things tend to do). so i’ll give you the recipe according to me… and if you like specifics and measuring things, then bummer for you!
so this is what i do:
- take a 9x13 pyrex dish and line the bottom w/ frozen hash brown patties. i can usually fit about 7. (you could also use a bag of the shredded kind, but it’s not as good.)
- add about 2 cups or so of veggies. carrots, green beans, peas, celery – whatever you’ve got. (corn is not so good in this recipe, so i don’t recommend it.) you should pre-cook the veggies so they aren’t crunchy – or i guess you could use canned, but i think they’re gross so i use frozen, with the exception of the carrots and celery which are fresh.
- add a bunch of chopped, cooked chicken – whatever you’ve got leftover or a can or two, if you go that route, on top of the veggies.
- pour a can of cream of something soup (my favorite is cream of celery) into a 2 cup measuring cup. fill the rest up with water (to make it measure 2 cups).
- add about 2 tbsp of dry onion soup mix to the liquid and mix it all up w/ a fork.
- pour over the chicken and veggies and bake for about 30-40 minutes at 350* or so.
that’s it. pretty simple, and similar to another of our favorites (and, incidentally, the duggars as well, although i think ours is better) tator tot casserole - which really isn’t ours, it’s kate’s, or whoever she got it from. i’ll post that some other time.
***edited to add*** i forgot to mention that you should cover it w/ foil while baking; remove for the last 10 minutes or so.