i don’t use my crock pot nearly as often as i should… probably because I don’t have a lot of slow cooker recipes that i really like. but this one is a winner (winner chicken dinner – literally)! i don’t know the original source of this recipe, since my aunt sent it to my mom and my mom sent it to me…
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (squeeze more in if you can)
- 1 envelope italian salad dressing mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened (this is important, or it will be chunky!)
- 1 can cream of something soup
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (yuck! I never do this, but it’s in the recipe, so I thought I’d include it for the fungus lovers out there.)
- hot cooked rice or noodles
- place chicken in slow cooker. combine salad dressing mix and water; pour over chicken. cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
- in a small mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese and soup until blended. stir in mushrooms. pour cream cheese mixture over chicken. cook 1 to 3 hours longer until chicken juices run clear.
- serve over rice or cooked noodles.
obviously, this is not a low calorie dish! i use low fat cream cheese to help with that a little, and serve with whole wheat noodles or brown rice to up the healthy factor…