(no, not the singer.)
holly asked if i’d post it, so figured i’d do it here.
so as to not be accused of plagiarism, i’ll say that the skeleton of this recipe comes from the better homes and gardens ‘new cookbook – 14th edition’, but i always doctor it up a little bit.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs (or as many as you need to stretch the meat)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (i generally use dried minced onion for convenience, but not as much)
- 2 T snipped fresh parsley (yeah right, i just shake in a bunch of dried.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried leaf sage, basil, or oregano ( i usually use a little of both basil and oregano, as well as a good shake of garlic powder)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef, lamb, or pork (i’ve only ever used beef)
combine everything but the meat. add the meat and mix well. lightly pat mixture into a loaf pan. bake at 350* for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until internal temp reaches 160*. spoon off fat.
in a small bowl mix:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 T packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard (i use prepared yellow mustard, slightly less than the ketchup)
spread over meat, bake for 10 minutes more. let stand 10 minutes before cutting into slices.
super yummy! we’re having it tonight!