Skip to main content

remember when I used to blog?

you know, like actually write posts about stuff that I thought or things we were doing… funny stuff my kids were doing, how my daughter, at the age of 2 and a half, refused to poop… I wrote about knitting, I wrote about cooking, and more than anything, I think I wrote about my horrible fight with the entity of housekeeping…

it’s funny to look back, something I find myself doing a lot of now, and see how, in the 6 years since I started this blog, life has changed. a lot of it is that my kids are older. the ‘stuff’ of daily life is different. all of my kids are in REAL school now, at least part of the day. I haven’t changed a diaper in years. nobody takes naps, unless they are sick or have been to a sleepover. breastfeeding, potty training, baby wearing, co-sleeping (except for the occasional sneaky nighttime visitor or bad dream) is all a memory now. even sippy cups. I didn’t think there would ever be an end to the sippy cups. it’s all very, very weird, and I find myself getting nostalgic over the stupidest things. I was laughing hysterically in a restaurant the other night over this baby (about a year old) who kept dropping things on the floor. first the cup, then the bread she was eating, then the cup again… seriously gravity is a b****.

but anyway, I don’t really post about much of that anymore. project life, and the related posts have hijacked all of my “must document” energy. I used to write about things that were going on as a way to share what we were doing… what life was like. I do that now weekly, with my post of the weekly pics, or via facebook or instagram. while that’s fun, and immediate, short and sweet, I really miss blogging. writing the stories about the actual stuff we are doing.

right now, my days are crazy. we drive 10 miles each way to get to school. multiple start and end times because of junior high, elementary, and half-day kindergarten. we really like our schools, but sometimes I kind of wonder what my current degree of insanity is. I am completely obsessed right now with barre3. I go almost every day. I was hoping to be auditioning to be an instructor for them, but seem to have encountered an unexplained set back that is out of my hands… so I guess I just have to be patient there, and see what happens. monday and tuesday, after picking up micah from school, I go and clean my mom and dad’s house for them. the rest of the week days, we just go to hang out with my mom so my dad can get away or outside for a little while. it’s hard on micah, but he’s finding creative ways to keep himself busy. breaking from his routine is hard for him, so hopefully he will adjust to this new routine soon. then it’s off to pick up other kids. every friday, I get to hang with layla’s class during their slot at the school library. that’s very fun. checking books out, reshelving, all of that. then after, I have about 20 minutes before micah is out of school, so I go to lunch with her and just hang out and chat with her and her friends. it really is just lovely (aside from the scent of cafeteria food). layla has ballet once a week. shane has workouts at the high school for football 4 times a week. two of those days I drive the carpool. I have to say, cramming my van to the rafters with teenage boys is one of the highlights of my week. always hilarious. somewhere in there, I try to get grocery shopping and errands done with as few ‘helpers’ as possible. all said and done, I am almost never home between the hours of 8:30 and 4:30. it’s like I work full time… like it, but without the paycheck… oh, and I host the moms club book club once a month, and still hold a board position (I’ll be all done in june). and then there are assorted band concerts and what not sprinkled in here and there.

for the last couple of months, I’ve been doing a lot of single parenting. dave’s company is moving offices this coming weekend, which has meant a TON of extra work for him. he’s been gone most weekends, and working crazy hours from before we get up until after we go to bed at night. he’s put in 40 hours in the last 3 days… I’m hoping there’s a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere soon…

6 years ago, I had a lot less STUFF going on. I had more time to obsess about what a terrible homemaker I was. that fact has not changed, I just have less time to actually do something about it. I don’t know if that’s a good thing, or a bad thing, but my house is always messy, as usual, preparing creative meals that people will actually eat is still a struggle I don’t enjoy in the least, and even my laundry has been known to get behind! I know! (gasp!) I still wish I could somehow be one of those neat, organized people, who just somehow DOES all of that stuff easily and without having to remind myself that I’m actually supposed to DO something about it, but that’s another fact that hasn’t changed about me.

I’m at the point in the year where I’m starting to look forward to summer, when we don’t have to be anywhere at any certain time. ahhhh… if that doesn’t sound like vacation, I don’t know what does. vast blank pages on the calendar… oh, I can’t wait!

but now it’s bed time, and I’m totally getting sleepy… nighty night, bloggers, I promise to post more interesting stuff later. assuming we actually do some interesting stuff.

Comments

you may like...

first day of school

so, we started school today. this is a big deal because it is OUR first day of official homeschooling. you know, here. at home. most everyone reading this is already aware of the fact that shane has been homeschooled since first grade, but that he has spent the majority of that ‘school’ time, with my mother as his ‘teacher’. this was a fine arrangement, she was willing and more than qualified, and he was learning. but for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being my mother’s current cancer issues, it had become clear that it was time for me to take over. AND,with layla being 4 now, i really wanted to do a little bit more preschool stuff with her. being a little bit of a chicken flake, i (with much urging from my loving husband) decided the best route to go would be with a packaged curriculum. i figured it would be the most time-effective way to cover what we needed to cover, and be somewhat dummy-proof, but at the same time, having the option to supplement with as much

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

project life 2014 week 3

monday: every time I get out of the shower, this cat is waiting for me, so he can get in and lick up the water off the floor of the shower. it’s his favorite way to get a drink. cats are weird. tuesday: this cracked me up. had micah at the grocery store with me and he spots the produce scale. so of course, he wanted to weigh something. he went for his little donkey kong lego toy that he had with him. tuesday: this is my parents’ cat, beatrice. she is small and feisty, and has the prettiest eyes ever. she’s not so fond of it when I come over to make up beds, and usually finds herself made into one because she refuses to move. wednesday: layla has been very interested in all things domestic lately, and really wants to learn how to cook. so I told her she could start helping me make dinner. this night, it was homemade, cheesy mac & cheese with ham and peas & carrots. she did almost all of it herself. from boiling the noodles, to cutting the cheese (yes, I did just say that), mi

Micah’s Birthday

This kid had the audacity to turn 13 yesterday… As was expected, I was a bit of a hot mess about the whole affair. Here’s his “last day to be 12” photo. He ran out of fingers a couple years ago, so taking a page out of Shane’s book, he borrowed a couple of feet from the cat to make 12. But, not too old to choose Lucky Charms for his birthday breakfast. He got his happy birthday facetime call first thing and got to open his gift from Gramma and Skip while they watched… He’s had a boom box on his list this year. You might remember that 2 years ago, it was a Walkman. The obsession with 80s audio continues. Gramma found this one and it seems to fit the bill. Looks totally retro, plays and records tapes but also has radio AND a USB port so he could use some modern tech with it, as well. So, he spent the morning taking advantage of the birthday allowances of not having to do his weekend chores and lifted time limits on video games… all while listening to the radio or one

project life–week 18

the three amigos… this trio of the neighbors’ poultry is always in my parents’ yard. and spark way too many “why did the chicken cross the road” jokes. these are the two lilacs I gave my mom for mother’s day two years ago. last year, only one bloomed. looks like this year, both will have some nice flowers! when I get to the bottom of a bag of chips and they’re too small to effectively scoop up salsa, I just dump them in a bowl, pour salsa over them, and eat the whole delicious mess with a spoon. not ashamed. dave got himself a new set of bike tools. everyone had to check it out. first grade music concert. micah had a solo! saturday baseball fun. pitching, homerun derby, bouncy houses, dunk the coach… and of course, eating kettle corn and horsing around.