Skip to main content

instafriday

so, I know I haven’t done one of these in a long, long time, but I was suddenly inspired. no idea why…

at any rate, it’s friday, and here are my small squares for the week…

instafridaybutton

122

my breakfast. scrambled eggs with ham, kale, and spinach + a delicious smoothie. yum.

130

daddy got layla pink tulips for her first ballet recital.

132

post-morning run. ice, coffee, and {not pictured because it didn’t last long enough to get in the picture] bacon. 137

ballet recital take 2. I was the backstage mom this time. OMG. there were 4 different classes of little girls crammed in this tiny dressing room. like 40 girls and 3 moms. FOR THREE HOURS. oy! after it was over, dave and I went out and I had a BIG margarita.

140

we found this little frog in a bucket in our backyard, so we took him out in the woods where there is some wetland and let him hop away.

001

monday night, I got to take a free adult jazz class at layla’s dance studio. it was fun, but a bit odd because we had a lot of different skill/experience levels among only 4 students in the class and an inexperienced instructor who seemed a bit baffled with how to handle that situation. at any rate, I dug out my old jazz shoes which were probably purchased when I was in about 9th grade, as evidenced by the size printed on the inside. I do NOT wear size 5 1/2 anymore. thank goodness they’re leather.

004

the letter you really DON’T want to have come home from school. sigh.

006

one of my least favorite jobs to deal with. I never want to take it out. maybe I can delegate…

011

kitty in the window.

012

I was on the front porch, watching layla at the bus stop across the street waiting for the bus. toby was sitting on the windowsill watching this tiny brown bird which was blatantly hopping around on the ground right in front of the porch. cheeping and peeping and drawing all sorts of attention to itself. what a punk.

014

something happened to spring. it’s the end of may and my feet are back in my toasty uggs. this is so wrong.

017

micah loves the “food tables” at costco. we totally hit a home run yesterday because one of them was handing out ice cream samples!

021

my one and only impulse buy at costco yesterday… we’ll consider it an early father’s day present! so cute, and really, how much longer will she be interested in wearing jammies that say “I love daddy”. but she loves them for now.

028

a cold, wet, dreary day for a track meet, and shane stays til the very end, helping to clean up. of course he did. first he was pushing around a wheelbarrow, collecting hurdles. then he, and 3 girls, brought in the high jump landing pads. and then this. heaving a stack of chairs back to the cafeteria. that’s my pack mule.

030

not sure what possessed me, on the 23rd day of the month, to join up with the fat mum slim photo a day challenge. but here it is. interestingly, this is also what I was wearing to pump gas at 7:25am with all the guys in the landscape trucks at the gas station with me… I’m SO awesome.

Comments

you may like...

adjusting my attitude

this is something i tell shane to do all the time and i really needed to tell it to myself this morning.  although i go through phases where i'm diligent and consistent about getting up early and taking care of pertinent chores, getting dressed, etc. i've been REALLY bad lately.  and it's not just the christmas break thing because i've been throwing myself and the little kids into the car in our jammies to take shane to school for a while now.  it's something that's really been bugging me, but it's just so easy to sleep as long as possible and then turn on the tv for the kids while i drink coffee and surf the internet wake up for 3 hours a little while.  i am aware that i really need to have some sort of a schedule and i need to adhere to it. so after staying up past midnight reading a book about scheduling getting motivated, i vowed to get up early - before the kids - this morning and be all dressed and have some time to myself to take care of mornin

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

i’m sure i will offend all sorts people with this…

… but i just don’t get why the entire world is so torn up about the death of michael jackson. yes, he had an insanely successful career as a singer/entertainer/pop star. yes, he took a lot of that to a whole new level. yes, i remember thriller and doing the moonwalk. yes, i remember wanting one of those red leather jackets, and one of those sparkly white gloves. however… i’m also wondering why everyone else is seeming to forget how he bleached his skin (and then had a big hit stating that it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white… always wondered about that one), underwent so much plastic surgery that he barely looked human anymore, made crotch-grabbing an acceptable dance move, hung his kid over a balcony, showed up for court in his pajamas, and, oh yeah, was accused of child molestation HOW MANY TIMES??? this was a VERY disturbed man. i have never understood why being a celebrity excuses people from upholding the same morals and standards that we expect of normal people. i w

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually