Skip to main content

what I wore wednesday

it’s wednesday again, so here I am, happily reporting that I did not wear jammies all week! and linking up.wiww

wednesday:006

first off, excuse the fact that I’m giving somebody the mom stink eye in this photo… I think I had kids bickering in the hall or something…

  • top: express via thrift store
  • jeans: gap via thrift store
  • black mary jane’s: born

I love these shoes. there are very few actual shoes that I like. okay, that’s not true. I LIKE a lot of shoes. I don’t like to wear a lot of shoes. I have very sensitive feet and wearing shoes that actually enclose my toes drives me nuts. in the summer, I live in flip flops and in the winter, I live in uggs. it’s the closest you can get to NOT wearing shoes. socks drive me nuts, too. I think it has to do with years and years of my feet being shoved into these: figure-skates or these: pointe-shoes 

for many hours of the day for many years… yeah, sensitive feet. but born shoes are one of the few brands I’ve found that are 100% comfortable (and 100% cute), even though they’re REAL shoes! now, if only they were cheap…

at any rate, this outfit is perfect for a parent/student meeting at the junior high your kid will be attending in a week, and a sunday school planning meeting at church, plus dinner! (p.s. don’t you just love the sparkles on the shoulders??? I do!)

thursday:   011

  • top: ross (a million years ago)
  • jeans: thrifted
  • SIL on the phone: courtesy of my husband’s brother! ;) hi mary!
  • coffee mug: handmedown from my mom
  • hairdo: idea courtesy of the pleated poppy! 025

this outfit is perfect for another trip to the pediatrician. and, of course, as soon as I’d decided to cut off all my hair, this brilliant 3 bun hairstyle shows up. LOVE! so, I had to try it out at least once. I was skeptical about how well my hair would hold it, but it actually lasted all day!

friday:       038

  • top: handmedown
  • jeans: handmedown
  • belt: walmart
  • jade necklace: family heirloom

so… my daughter wanted to “do my hair” that day… the results were a little bit odd, but whatever, it made her happy. 018  020

I really didn’t have much going on this day, except a mountain of laundry to deal with, some general kid dropping and fetching, and that sort of thing.

saturday:   060

well, I really thought I’d escaped my not-so-awesome soccer mom apparel this day, until I was going through the pictures I took on my camera from our full saturday of soccer and found all the pics my 4 year old took to entertain himself… and there I was.

nothing even remotely exciting to report about this outfit, and the shoes were a HUGE mistake. I love my chucks, don’t get me wrong. they are a replacement for a pair of identical ones I had in college that I literally wore until they fell apart. however, remember my above story about my hatred of wearing shoes? these are like the epitome of everything I hate about wearing shoes. they’re great if I don’t have to walk anywhere, but that day I swear I walked miles and miles around all the soccer fields. I wanted to wear real shoes (not flip flops) because I knew that the grass would be all wet in the morning. I had intended to wear some running shoes, but in our rush to get out the door, I went into the garage and discovered that they weren’t on the shelf, so I just threw these on instead. ugh. by the afternoon games, I had ditched them and spent the rest of the afternoon barefoot.

sunday:      081

  • top: handmedown
  • skirt: anne klein via thrift store (THIS is the famous $99 skirt that I paid 99 cents for. not only is it a really nice skirt, the excitement of that bargain makes it even nicer. the original store tag was still on it when I bought it at the thrift store. I can’t remember what it was marked there, but it was the color tag that was .99 that day. SCORE!
  • sandals: payless (super old!)

 076  077

so yeah, that’s what a $99 skirt looks like!

monday:    002

so, quite obviously, this was a cleaning day. and I dressed appropriately. it was also the last day before my scheduled haircut and my hairdresser had sent me an email in which she mentioned something about me probably having the best hair day ever since I was planning to whack it all off the next day. so I made sure that didn’t happen by wadding it up in a messy bun. HA!

tuesday:    038

haircut day!

  • top: giants clubhouse at at&t park courtesy of my hubby (this was a make-up shirt to replace the not-so-awesome one he had bought me the previous summer. **coughcoughbrightorangetshirtcoughcough**)
  • capris: gap via thrift store

long hair, down, hasn’t been washed in days and days and days… just waiting to be whacked off. and I do mean whacked!

040  049

happy wednesday, everyone! what’cha wearin’?

Comments

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

adjusting my attitude

this is something i tell shane to do all the time and i really needed to tell it to myself this morning.  although i go through phases where i'm diligent and consistent about getting up early and taking care of pertinent chores, getting dressed, etc. i've been REALLY bad lately.  and it's not just the christmas break thing because i've been throwing myself and the little kids into the car in our jammies to take shane to school for a while now.  it's something that's really been bugging me, but it's just so easy to sleep as long as possible and then turn on the tv for the kids while i drink coffee and surf the internet wake up for 3 hours a little while.  i am aware that i really need to have some sort of a schedule and i need to adhere to it. so after staying up past midnight reading a book about scheduling getting motivated, i vowed to get up early - before the kids - this morning and be all dressed and have some time to myself to take care of mornin

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

bacon-potato chowder recipe

dave found this recipe at some point when we were living in ohio. he apparently had a hankering for some chowder of some kind. so I have no idea where the credit goes in this case. but we’ve been making it ever since, so it was definitely a winner! 1 lb. bacon cut in small pieces 1 cup chopped onions 4 cups diced potatoes 2 cups water 1 tsp salt (and some pepper) 2 cans cream of something soup (chicken or celery) 2 cups sour cream 3 cups milk **edited to add: apparently, dave says he adds a clove or two of garlic as well. chop them up with them up and add them with the onions.** in a big pot, cook bacon over medium heat. add onion and cook until tender. drain off grease. add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. cook 15 minutes. stir in soup, sour cream, and milk. cook until heated through. easy, but best to do all you’re chopping, dicing, and measuring ahead of time. if you like it thick, simmer a little longer… don’t make this if you are dairy intolerant or on a diet! lol. a

white wine marinated pork chops recipe

this recipe comes from the weber’s REAL GRILLING cookbook and is my family’s recent favorite way to have pork chops. shane thinks these are the best food he’s ever eaten, and will generally eat 2!  i think layla asked for seconds as well, and micah pretended they weren’t on his plate… which is typical.  we’ve made them on the grill, or broiling in the oven, and both are equally good. 1/2 cup dry white wine 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh thyme (I have used dried as well, and it works fine) 1 tbsp minced garlic (think I used a clove, maybe two) 2 tsp kosher salt (this was a little much. I think the second time I made them I reduced it to 1.5 tsp.) 1 tsp freshly ground pepper pork chops (4 or 5) whisk ingredients together in a bowl. place pork chops in a large ziplock and pour in marinade. seal and turn several times. refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once or twice.  allow chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. remove f