Skip to main content

school stuff… and other stuff

today, dave and I went to the school for layla’s parent-teacher conference. it went well. layla is doing well, her teacher likes having her, all that good stuff.

but, aside from layla doing well in school, having lots of friends, having a teacher who appreciates her creativity and quirkiness, and the secretaries in the front office who, not only knew who my kid was without me telling them, but proceeded to tell me how much they like her and how cute her new haircut is, I was reminded of something really great today. it doesn’t really specifically have anything to do with the school so much, but it’s just another part of what ties it all together.

community.

living here, in our little section of a big little town on the outskirts of the seattle suburbs, I feel community for the first time in my life. I realize that probably sounds kind of strange, at this point in my life. it’s not like I’ve lived, up until now, in the middle of nowhere, or even in some huge, anonymous, bustling metropolis.

I grew up in kirkland. I never moved until I went to college. 18 straight years in one place. part of it might have been that I was a kid and didn’t really care about much beyond the 3 or 4 neighborhood kids that I played with regularly, but although we lived there, I don’t really think my family built any network of friends or acquaintances there. I didn’t go to my neighborhood elementary school until 6th grade. I went to school in bellevue, where we also went to church. by the time I started at that school, I was already deeply involved in skating and ballet, and spent every day travelling back and forth to lynnwood and/or bellevue. I knew a few of the people on my street and that’s about it. anyway, kirkland is a pretty big town.

you would also maybe think that our two years in napoleon might have provided a good sense of community. perhaps, had we stayed longer, I would have been able to embrace it. then, not so much. I was completely weirded out most of the time we were there. this is not to say I didn’t like it. I did. but the fact that people all knew each other or were related to each other (or probably both) for generations upon generations really kinda freaked me out. I didn’t know how to connect when everyone already seemed connected. I knew people from church, and a couple people from shane’s school, but I didn’t go out of my way to become friends with them. in retrospect, I probably wasn’t very friendly.

at any rate, we moved here 3 and a half years ago. one of the first things I did was join the newly formed, local MOMS club. this has proven to be a huge connecting thing for me, and not just because of playgroups and events. I see these people elsewhere as well. I find out that I know people that they know. right after that, we signed shane up for soccer. this is his 4th year on the team and it’s grown to 17 members. this year, layla started playing soccer, AND she started kindergarten at our neighborhood school. all 6 girls on her team go to her school. 5 of them are in the same class.

instant community.

but it goes beyond that. this community of seemingly unrelated connections has been surprising me for awhile. I found it weird that I couldn’t go to safeway without bumping into at least one person I knew. I can’t drive down the road without passing a car I recognize. people I’m facebook friends with are friends with each other, even though I know them from completely different venues, and people I know know other people I know… I’m starting to realize that I actually know a lot of people, and I know them from MORE THAN ONE THING, and that is the thing that has startled me. I’m actually part of a community.

I really realized it today when I was at the school, signing in at the office for our conference. there was another lady in the office at the same time, that I knew from layla’s soccer team. she was telling the secretary to call a certain lady (who I knew because she used to be a member of the MOMS club) because her son (who I knew) had left his lunch in her car. and then we went to layla’s classroom, and on the way, we saw siblings of kids who we knew from soccer in their classrooms…

I realize most people probably understand that this is just a normal part of life… of living in one place for awhile. but it’s new for me. and weird. nice. but still weird.

at any rate, I like it. it’s a phenomenon that I kind of have always known existed for other people, but had never experienced personally. but now that I know that it’s real, maybe at some point it can quit surprising me!

Comments

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

first day of school

so, we started school today. this is a big deal because it is OUR first day of official homeschooling. you know, here. at home. most everyone reading this is already aware of the fact that shane has been homeschooled since first grade, but that he has spent the majority of that ‘school’ time, with my mother as his ‘teacher’. this was a fine arrangement, she was willing and more than qualified, and he was learning. but for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being my mother’s current cancer issues, it had become clear that it was time for me to take over. AND,with layla being 4 now, i really wanted to do a little bit more preschool stuff with her. being a little bit of a chicken flake, i (with much urging from my loving husband) decided the best route to go would be with a packaged curriculum. i figured it would be the most time-effective way to cover what we needed to cover, and be somewhat dummy-proof, but at the same time, having the option to supplement with as much

does home ec even exist anymore?

my last post got me thinking about how i somehow missed 'learning' all of those things which are essential in running a successful home. i'm wondering who dropped the ball on this (because, i can't possibly take responsibility for my own shortcomings here). i guess traditionally, one learns these things from their parents. i suppose i did learn a lot of my domestic skills at home. for example, the husband is supposed to eat the leftovers in the fridge. when making a bed, the 'top' of the top sheet goes down so that when you fold the edge over the blanket, the 'top' side is then up. why this matters when you are just going to cover the whole thing with a pillow and comforter is totally beyond me. but that's how you do it. so yes, my mother taught me how to iron, do laundry, clean a toilet, etc. my dad taught me how to plant a garden, mow a lawn, appreciate baseball, etc. and then there's home ec. do people still take home ec? i took it

junk drawer challenge 2008!

if you're anything like me, you have one of these: yeah, that WAS my junk drawer.  it's ridiculous.  it was getting to the point where you couldn't even close it.  instead of the "junk drawer" i think it should really be called the "don't know what to do with it or too lazy to put it where it really goes drawer".  so i decided to document exactly how ridiculous it really was. this is all the stuff laid out on the kitchen counter: so what is all this stuff?     here we have a dozen or so rubber bands and used twisty ties, a stamp pad from a hand/foot print kit we got when micah was born, 4 used birthday candles, and a pack of spare buttons from some pants.   a bunch of batteries and a bunch of cord-type things. instruction booklets and a bunch of writing utensils... although upon closer examination, the red one in the middle is actually a tinker toy! a bunch of the little packages of 'hardware' that comes with stuff - notice th