Skip to main content

back on the horse?

and now I've discovered that, since the latest iPhone update, the blogger app does nothing but crash when you try to use it. apparently a much needed update to the app is late in coming. will wait and see.

so, here I am, on my computer, like I used to be.

I'm sick right now. I've been fighting this weird cold situation since over a week ago. it didn't get bad until about Thursday. I wound up taking Friday off of work, but I didn't feel too awful (just sounded like someone you didn't want your kid around) and spent the day getting caught up on laundry and general tidying around the house. I didn't really feel terrible until evening, when I sat in a daze at gymnastics, trying not to breathe on anyone. yesterday was much the same. I attempted a little productivity, which took me to about 3, when I went to take a nap. and pretty much stayed in bed (minus coming down to have some soup) until this morning at 9:30. today, i'm skipping church, but will have to venture out later to take Layla to the gym for team pictures. I suppose i'll have to do some grocery shopping at some point, too. unfortunately.

anyway, while chilling in my bed, I've been reading over old blog posts. like really old ones. and I've made some interesting observations of my "old life".
  • even though our old house was small and kind of a dump, I really miss it. well, not the green carpet or the ugly kitchen. and not the squirrels in the walls, the mice in the garage, or the rats under the deck. but I miss the garden, the neighbors, the proximity to the library and grocery store, and all of that.
  • I was very resourceful. I spent a ton of time and energy growing food in the garden, baking bread, shopping the grocery store sales flyers, and all that.
  • I beat myself up a lot about the state of my house and how "lazy" I was. (nothing new or surprising there.)
  • I was a psychological mess for most of my 30s. i'm actually really glad to have made it through all that without an intervention or being institutionalized.
  • having young kids made me CRAZY, but I loved them so much. I honestly would go back in a second if given the chance. I love my kids now, and I wouldn't trade who they are right now, but I SO miss the little kid phase of things. I miss cartoons and playdough and naps and playgroups and ride-on toys and dress-up and invented spellings and my walls plastered with marker drawings.
  • although it was busy, life was simpler.
I can't say for sure if life was better then or now. it's easy to idealize the past when you are experiencing dissatisfaction with the present. I also know that it's easy to idealize the future for the same reason. I think I did a fair amount of that then, too. or I idealized what I thought our life should look like, and bemoaned that it didn't. I think that i'm really good at the whole dissatisfaction thing. I should probably work on that. it's not that i'm ungrateful for the present. or that I was ungrateful for what was the present back then... I think that i'm always striving for what could be. always searching for the BEST way to live or be or raise kids or whatever. there always seems to be this unattainable goal that I want to reach. is that good? is that bad? I don't really know. I do know that it seems to be a constant, since THAT is one thing that has not changed in the 8 years since I started this blog..
wait. no. make that almost 9. NINE!!! holy smokes. that's a long time. I just totaled it up, and this post will make 948 posts. dang. I have a lot to say. not that that is any big surprise.

so... does any of this mean anything? not really. i'm just blabbing through my fingers, as usual. i'm going to try to keep up this blog more. I know, I say that all the time (well not all the time, just when I remember it, which isn't actually that often). and maybe I will and maybe I won't. I like the record it has kept. It has functioned like a journal for me, and I think that's important. some day, maybe my children will read it and see how much I cared about doing what was right (or maybe just how crazy I was), and how hard I tried. I don't know. or maybe i'll just spend a "sick" weekend sitting in bed and reading about my life. but I want it written down. and not just in snippets on facebook, or snapshots on Instagram. the space for thinking is lacking in those venues.

but now it's time for real life, kids and chores and errands, etc. we'll see where this goes from here.

Comments

you may like...

someone googled this stuff and found me!

these are as is... spelling errors and all. how to use a bathroom scale seriously? how hard is it? if you want step by step instructions, read this . washing machine doesn't empty bummer dude rachel's restroom i seem to remember someone predicting, when i was in high school, that i would go into the portable restroom business some day... "locks of love" site:blogspot.com because i'm totally the authority on that sort of thing. my hair is still in a ziplock bag waiting to be mailed. http://rambling-rachel.blogspot.com/ i think you typed this in the wrong place does 2 year old talk with imagination is there any other option? SLUDGE IN WORM BIN yummy. diapers to bed well, considering the other option... yes, please! imagination and 2 years old once again. 2 year olds do like to use their imaginations. loose change in my washing machine what priceless wisdom are you looking for here? how to get some? where did it come from? what to do with it? duh! rachel joe

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually

beef stew recipe

another taken from the betty crocker cookbook, but i mess with this one so refer to the disclaimer … 1 tbsp olive oil 1 clove of garlic, pressed (or some good shakes of garlic powder) 1 lb. stew beef 3 cups of hot water (I probably use closer to 3.5 or 4) 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper 3 medium carrots, cut in thick coins 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1-2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 small onion, chopped 1/4 tsp salt 1 bay leaf *optional: 1/2 bell pepper of your choice; 1 turnip; 1/2 tsp browning sauce (whatever that is) 1/2 cup cold water 2 tbsp all-purpose flour heat oil in large pot. cook beef and garlic in oil about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. add hot water, 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beef is almost tender. stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. cover and simmer

“you should have your head examined!”

… i just did! yup, yesterday i had the thrilling experience of sitting in a hospital waiting room for 2 hours, followed by another in a trauma room.  no, i don’t think i had suffered any sort of major trauma – i think that’s just what room they had left to stick me in.  i mused about where we would go if they had to kick us out because a ‘real’ trauma situation arose.  thankfully, we didn’t have to learn the answer to that.  i guess i was a traumatic as it got during that window of time. backing up, i wound up in the hospital yesterday because micah threw some clothes on the ground.  the night before i had been folding laundry in the living room.  i had a couple of stacks of ‘hang up’ clothes that were draped over the baby gate in front of the fireplace.                         yes, it’s a christmas picture, but i knew i had it in my stash.  at any rate, there’s the ugly baby gate that the clothes were hanging on.  also notice the wood mantle above it that the nativity set is on. 

tootin' my own horn! (for the sake of the earth)

so i'm not usually one to blab about how 'green' i am, but in honor of earth day tomorrow, i've decided to take a personal inventory of the choices i make daily that affect the future of our planet and the quality of our lives. i'm not usually an earth day celebrator since i try to treat every day as though it were earth day, and not just once a year. but i figured this was a good excuse. i've always walked a bit on the green side, but i really took a turn about a year and a half ago when i was influenced by raffi - yes, the children's musician - after reading his autobiography, life of a children's troubadour . this is, by the way, a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone who has ever enjoyed his music, or even remotely cares about children's or environmental advocacy. i don't want anyone to see this as any sort of snobbish, 'i am greener than you' kind of thing, but rather as a challenge to myself to see what else i can do,