Skip to main content

project life–january 2012

last year, I started out the year (and really for about the first 6 months) with weekly posts of actual pictures of the book, put together. then I started doing just the pictures, and highlighting each day. that’s what I continued doing this year, but I kind of have wanted to go back to the old way as well, because I think it’s good to show the ‘finished’ product. it’s hard to get a good idea of how project life works when you’re not seeing it, all together. and I am EVER evangelizing about this! no, I don’t sell it! no, I don’t get any commission. I just love it. it has saved me SO MUCH mom guilt, and has allowed me to get creative with my pictures in a time-saving, sanity-saving way. so anyway. here you go…

I opted for the cobalt edition this year… it was a tough choice, and I’m still looking for an excuse to get the clementine, too!

btw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new binders! I’m super-excited to learn that she’s going to be re-releasing the red edition (from 2010), which I used for last year. that means I can get the spiffy new binder to put last year’s stuff in… actually, 2 binders, since the main reason I need a new one in the first place is that the current one is SO STUFFED that the rings will hardly stay closed! I put way too much extra stuff in… I’ll probably need to get a second binder this year as well.002

front page… if I had been on top of things, I probably would have taken a family picture and put it in that top right slot… but oh well. there’s always next year!003

week 1: 004006007 I am still doing the big 8x10 collages of the ‘extra’ pictures from each week, and mounting them on the matching cardstock. I then crop it down to fit in a regular 8.5x11 page protector. I had thought of doing 12x12 this year, but I like the added dimension of the different sized pages. new for me this year is the arrow stickers. on all of the journaling cards, I put an arrow, pointing in the direction of the picture it corresponds with. I’m compulsive like that. when I have a vertically oriented picture, sometimes I put it in one of the smaller middle slots, but usually, I mount it on half of one of the full-size foldable journaling cards, and then do the writing on the other half. then I just stick a filler card in the slot that the corresponding journaling card would usually go. I kind of like how it breaks up the line of journaling cards in the middle.

week 2:008009 notice the little blue dot in the middle of the far left filler card? this is something I started doing halfway through last year. this is a number sticker, and I put the week number on there. the top filler card has the dates on it, but I like keeping track of what number week it is out of the 52 in the year.

week 3:011012

week 4:013 this week I included a drawing of layla’s on the front side of a collage I had for a day in the latter half of the week. most of the kids’ drawings and school papers will go in their own albums (eventually), but I like to include a few here and there… mostly when I need to fill a back side of something!014 the picture for saturday in this week (lower right) is another way I have handled vertical pictures, especially if I have more to write about it than will fit on a card. in picassa, I make the picture into a collage using the ‘picture pile’ option, and then make the picture fit in half of the space. I turn the other half whatever color I think looks good with it and type my journaling in there. then I just print it as a 4x6 with my other pics.

week 5 (part 1):015 this takes us through the month of january.

Comments

you may like...

someone googled this stuff and found me!

these are as is... spelling errors and all. how to use a bathroom scale seriously? how hard is it? if you want step by step instructions, read this . washing machine doesn't empty bummer dude rachel's restroom i seem to remember someone predicting, when i was in high school, that i would go into the portable restroom business some day... "locks of love" site:blogspot.com because i'm totally the authority on that sort of thing. my hair is still in a ziplock bag waiting to be mailed. http://rambling-rachel.blogspot.com/ i think you typed this in the wrong place does 2 year old talk with imagination is there any other option? SLUDGE IN WORM BIN yummy. diapers to bed well, considering the other option... yes, please! imagination and 2 years old once again. 2 year olds do like to use their imaginations. loose change in my washing machine what priceless wisdom are you looking for here? how to get some? where did it come from? what to do with it? duh! rachel joe

beef stew recipe

another taken from the betty crocker cookbook, but i mess with this one so refer to the disclaimer … 1 tbsp olive oil 1 clove of garlic, pressed (or some good shakes of garlic powder) 1 lb. stew beef 3 cups of hot water (I probably use closer to 3.5 or 4) 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper 3 medium carrots, cut in thick coins 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1-2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 small onion, chopped 1/4 tsp salt 1 bay leaf *optional: 1/2 bell pepper of your choice; 1 turnip; 1/2 tsp browning sauce (whatever that is) 1/2 cup cold water 2 tbsp all-purpose flour heat oil in large pot. cook beef and garlic in oil about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. add hot water, 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beef is almost tender. stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. cover and simmer

thanksgiving trip to CA

we decided to take a QUICK trip to EG over thanksgiving weekend. we weren’t so much going FOR thanksgiving, as we were taking advantage of the long weekend. thanksgiving was just an added bonus. the real reason we were going was to get to meet amy’s new baby finnigan (who BARELY complied, making his arrival just the day before). BUT, we got an extra BONUS baby, too! dave got a text early thanksgiving morning, as we were just driving into california, that anthony and chalane’s baby, abigail, had decided to show up a month early. we appreciated her courtesy! ;) micah and layla were tired after our all-night drive, and passed out together mid-afternoon, waiting for dinner. we brought mario kart with us… so there was much of this: the day after thanksgiving, gramma and papa treated us to a ride on ‘the polar express’ (which, I bet you didn’t know, runs out of sacramento)! it was loads of fun. everyone was supposed to wear pajamas, but the only one of our group who complied was micah.

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually

“you should have your head examined!”

… i just did! yup, yesterday i had the thrilling experience of sitting in a hospital waiting room for 2 hours, followed by another in a trauma room.  no, i don’t think i had suffered any sort of major trauma – i think that’s just what room they had left to stick me in.  i mused about where we would go if they had to kick us out because a ‘real’ trauma situation arose.  thankfully, we didn’t have to learn the answer to that.  i guess i was a traumatic as it got during that window of time. backing up, i wound up in the hospital yesterday because micah threw some clothes on the ground.  the night before i had been folding laundry in the living room.  i had a couple of stacks of ‘hang up’ clothes that were draped over the baby gate in front of the fireplace.                         yes, it’s a christmas picture, but i knew i had it in my stash.  at any rate, there’s the ugly baby gate that the clothes were hanging on.  also notice the wood mantle above it that the nativity set is on.