Skip to main content

so… what’s up with all the running?

about 5 weeks ago, I started running. not like in a forrest gump “I just felt like run-ning” kind of way, but I consciously decided that I wanted to be a runner.

why?

because I can’t run.

because I hate to run.

because I suck at running.

all words that, in my wise old age, I’ve learned to, not only to NOT accept, but to view as a challenge.

I hate being limited.

this is not something like being limited by my age, or gender, or socioeconomic status, or geographical location, or any of the things about myself which are more or less out of my control. this is about ME being limited by ME.

there is very little that I find quite so motivating.

and so, I started running. I downloaded a couch to 5k running app to my phone, and got started.

now, 5 weeks later, I’m going strong. still motivated, encouraged, but discouraged at the same time.

up until sunday, all of my running has been done indoors on the treadmill. boring, but controlled. no hills, no wind or rain, no mud or roots to avoid. I know that I can’t go into a race with that as my only prep.

so on sunday, in the middle of the afternoon, dave said, “hey! let’s go for a run!” and I was like, “now?”

that’s what he meant. so we went and got all bundled up in weather-appropriate running attire (it was a little chilly). we just ran around our neighborhood, but oh my goodness, it knocked me down a few pegs.

first of all, it was windy. I didn’t have anything over my ears, so the wind was blowing right into them. omg, that hurt. then there was the cold air. when I was skating, I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I’m pretty sure it had more to do with the cold temperature of the air than it did the actual exercise, because that’s what kicks it in. so I’m gasping for breath and borderline wheezing. and then there were the HILLS. ugh. I do not like hills. or maybe hills don’t like me. I don’t know, but they wiped me out. I had to slow to a walk more times than I was happy about, that’s for sure.

but it was good for me to see that I’m not quite as prepared as I thought I was, and I need to be better conditioned for the conditions.

I didn’t run at all yesterday, so today, after I dropped micah off at preschool (and came back home to pick up his coat and drop it off at the preschool), I headed over to a local area with some wooded trails that is popular with hikers and mountain bikers. I spent about 45 minutes on the trails and logged a total of 3.7 miles. I ran and walked with no particular schedule. I just ran until I was tired and then walked until I caught my breath. it’s pretty hilly with lots of twists and turns, so it was definitely an off-road experience. lots of fun.

I think on thursday, I’ll try somewhere else with different conditions.

oh, and I did manage to solve the cold ears problem with a fleece headband thing I’ve had for years. it’s not the most attractive look pulled on over my hat, but it does the trick. now I just need some decent headphones. the ones I was using today sucked and I yanked them out after about 5 seconds of scratchy, warbley music. listened to chirping birds instead.

003

my trail shoes – brooks puregrit. love them.004

my road shoes – brooks pureconnect. love them every bit as much as the others. 089

Comments

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

it just keeps getting better...

so obviously, from my earlier post, the dinner-making portion of my day was a little less than spectacular.  oh, that was just the beginning. dave worked late today. after dinner, i ran a bath for the younger 2 and in the process of getting them from the dining room to the bathroom, micah knocked the container of cheerios off the table and they dumped ALL OVER the floor.  i scooped up what i could and threw it back in the container, then, mindful that the water was still running in the tub and i didn't want to flood the bathroom, i herded the kids into the bathroom and dumped them into the tub. i went back into the dining room and proceeded to sweep up the mound of cheerios that was left on the floor, all the while keeping an ear open for both voices and giggles in the bathroom (as long as you can hear them, their heads are above water, right?).  that took all of about 2 minutes. i looked in on them (both happy as could be) and discovered that both of my younger, happy ch

beef stew recipe

another taken from the betty crocker cookbook, but i mess with this one so refer to the disclaimer … 1 tbsp olive oil 1 clove of garlic, pressed (or some good shakes of garlic powder) 1 lb. stew beef 3 cups of hot water (I probably use closer to 3.5 or 4) 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper 3 medium carrots, cut in thick coins 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1-2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 small onion, chopped 1/4 tsp salt 1 bay leaf *optional: 1/2 bell pepper of your choice; 1 turnip; 1/2 tsp browning sauce (whatever that is) 1/2 cup cold water 2 tbsp all-purpose flour heat oil in large pot. cook beef and garlic in oil about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. add hot water, 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beef is almost tender. stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. cover and simmer

white wine marinated pork chops recipe

this recipe comes from the weber’s REAL GRILLING cookbook and is my family’s recent favorite way to have pork chops. shane thinks these are the best food he’s ever eaten, and will generally eat 2!  i think layla asked for seconds as well, and micah pretended they weren’t on his plate… which is typical.  we’ve made them on the grill, or broiling in the oven, and both are equally good. 1/2 cup dry white wine 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh thyme (I have used dried as well, and it works fine) 1 tbsp minced garlic (think I used a clove, maybe two) 2 tsp kosher salt (this was a little much. I think the second time I made them I reduced it to 1.5 tsp.) 1 tsp freshly ground pepper pork chops (4 or 5) whisk ingredients together in a bowl. place pork chops in a large ziplock and pour in marinade. seal and turn several times. refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once or twice.  allow chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. remove f

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually