Skip to main content

what’s in my closet? installment #3 – sweaters

so, as you will see, I have a lot of sweaters. allow me to explain…

I am ALWAYS cold. always. I live in the PNW where summer happens for 2 months. the rest of the time, it’s cold. I can’t wear short sleeves until it’s over 75* or I need another layer. even in the winter, inside with the heat on, I need layers and long sleeves. preferably layers OF long sleeves. of course I hate bulk. I should really move south, but here I am. and so, I have a lot of sweaters.

first picture:034

  1. beige sweater w/ diagonal striping eyelets (target – via mary): I like this sweater, but it’s not very warm. the sleeves are too tight to wear a long sleeve shirt under, so it has to be warm enough for me to wear just a tank top under. but I really like the style, and different color tops underneath change the look just enough to be interesting.
  2. red pullover hoodie (thrift store – original source unknown): I like this sweater. I’m not in love with it because of the way it doesn’t stay pulled flat down on my body and has a tendency to bunch up. but I get compliments on it every time I wear it, so it must not look that bad.
  3. navy fair isle cardigan (old navy): I liked this sweater when I first got it. not so much anymore. because it’s older (probably 7+ years), the style is kinda shorter than I like, and looks a little faded. it’s also a little tight in the sleeves. (this is kind of a theme. maybe I need to tone my arms a tad.) I have kept it, because it’s a little dressier, but I think it’s served its purpose. this is also the sweater I wear the red v-neck t-shirt from the previous post with, so I guess I don’t need to keep that either.

second picture:036

  1. tan hoodie sweater dress (old navy): in theory I LOVE this sweater. I’m just not sure about reality. I’m concerned that it might be too long for me to wear, as short as I am. it might make me look short and squatty. but that’s not something I can judge myself. I usually wear it over jeans. would probably look good over leggings, if I had any. the neck hole is WAY plungey and has to have something under it. I like to wear something bright, for a splash of color, but I have trouble finding camis or tanks that are not also plungey. I want a decent neckline w/ no cleavage. is that too much to ask? I’m not even busty, but the way things are cut (or maybe it’s just because I’m short so shoulder straps are longer on me than on others) it’s hard to find something that I don’t consider too low cut. anyway, this sweater is also badly pilled. I need a sweater shaver.
  2. fuzzy purple hoodie cardigan (jcpenney): LOVE this sweater. I love the color, the yarn, the hood, the big buttons, the subtle cabling on the top, the LONG sleeves… LOVE it. I try not to wear it when I’m doing anything messy, because I don’t want to have to wash it too much and wear it out.
  3. gray/tan fair isle zip up hoodie (old navy): I’ve had this sweater for awhile, and I still love it. I have a thing for hoodies. this one is wool and very warm. it’s a bit pilled, so again, I need a sweater shaver. this is the sweater I wear the gray t-shirt with that I mentioned in the last post. so I guess I need to keep that shirt.

third picture:037

  1. off-white horizontal cabled cardigan(jcpenney): I like this sweater. the horizontal cables give it a different look than your standard cabled sweater. at the same time, I think it’s a little boring. but I get compliments on it…
  2. black sweater jacket (express): I love long sweaters like this. I would have a whole closetful if I could. I like this one, but (although it’s hard to see in this picture which shows NOTHING) this has a very thin lapel-type collar that doesn’t like to stay folded over like it should. but other than that, it’s a really nice sweater. suggestions?
  3. brown zip-up hoodie w/ blue stitching (ross): I like this sweater a lot, but it’s seen better days. it needs a good shave, and the fleece lining on the cuffs and hood looks a little… ?? worn? it also has an odd blue stitching that I’ve never been able to find anything to match exactly. this is the sweater that I keep the blue shirt for, but it’s totally not the right blue. that shirt is going, maybe the sweater too.

fourth picture:038

  1. black beaded 3/4 sleeve sweater (via mary): this is a great dressy sweater. I wore it to christmas eve service this year. one problem. it’s black. my dress pants are black. I kind of felt like I was going to a funeral. I need something a little more interesting to wear on the bottom with it. but I like it, so I’m keeping it.
  2. brown rainbow-y heart sweater(jcpenney): another zip-up hoodie. yes, I’m predictable. I love that it’s brown, I love the colors stitched in the top, I love the little pouch pockets (that are hard to see in this picture because of ill-placed sleeves). I love that it’s long and cozy. the only thing I don’t like is the hearts on the elbows. I didn’t notice these when I tried it on, and I was already in love with the sweater. so I deal with them, although I think they’re kind of stupid. this is the sweater I wear the mustard yellow shirt with. I’d prefer something hot pink or even the light blue, but I had the yellow, it matches, and so I wear it.

so there you go. not terribly humiliating this time.

Comments

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

junk drawer challenge 2008!

if you're anything like me, you have one of these: yeah, that WAS my junk drawer.  it's ridiculous.  it was getting to the point where you couldn't even close it.  instead of the "junk drawer" i think it should really be called the "don't know what to do with it or too lazy to put it where it really goes drawer".  so i decided to document exactly how ridiculous it really was. this is all the stuff laid out on the kitchen counter: so what is all this stuff?     here we have a dozen or so rubber bands and used twisty ties, a stamp pad from a hand/foot print kit we got when micah was born, 4 used birthday candles, and a pack of spare buttons from some pants.   a bunch of batteries and a bunch of cord-type things. instruction booklets and a bunch of writing utensils... although upon closer examination, the red one in the middle is actually a tinker toy! a bunch of the little packages of 'hardware' that comes with stuff - notice th

bacon-potato chowder recipe

dave found this recipe at some point when we were living in ohio. he apparently had a hankering for some chowder of some kind. so I have no idea where the credit goes in this case. but we’ve been making it ever since, so it was definitely a winner! 1 lb. bacon cut in small pieces 1 cup chopped onions 4 cups diced potatoes 2 cups water 1 tsp salt (and some pepper) 2 cans cream of something soup (chicken or celery) 2 cups sour cream 3 cups milk **edited to add: apparently, dave says he adds a clove or two of garlic as well. chop them up with them up and add them with the onions.** in a big pot, cook bacon over medium heat. add onion and cook until tender. drain off grease. add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. cook 15 minutes. stir in soup, sour cream, and milk. cook until heated through. easy, but best to do all you’re chopping, dicing, and measuring ahead of time. if you like it thick, simmer a little longer… don’t make this if you are dairy intolerant or on a diet! lol. a

week 10 in pictures

monday: micah’s favorite food in the whole wide world… tuesday: his new favorite passtime… setting up soccer cones in ‘roads’ that he then ride through. thursday: earning their keep! actually, the just wanted to help me clean so I gave them rags and a bottle of windex. also thursday: at book club, ingrid telling her famous “making meatballs with the kids” story. friday: a sunny afternoon MOMS Club park playdate. micah got hungry and wanted to leave, so his friend was kind enough to offer him some of her lunch to keep him there a little while longer. also friday: layla at a pj party with the birthday girl. saturday: a dry, sunny saturday meant the first mow of the season followed by fertilizer application! just one skinny this week… micah was ‘on the ball’ at target. yes, that’s a plastic axe stuffed down the back of the shirt… pretty sure he’s a ninja. and some little squares I will collage to put in the book.           book shots: