Skip to main content

project life–week 14

okey dokey, here’s week 14. I have a new little thing I’m doing that I’m really excited about, but we’ll get to that in a minute.

the start of the week: 009

monday’s and tuesday’s pictures are both collage types w/ text. I think monday’s is a little stupid and cheesy, but it was oriented vertically and it would drive me too nuts to put it in sideways, so I put it on w/ the text. oh well. we’ll just call it cheesy in a cute way… okay?

the 8x10 of extras:007

notice the top of that sheet – that’s what I’m talking about. I’ll explain after the rest of this is done.

the other side of that sheet:010

normally I think coloring pages are kind of silly, but micah is really just kind of getting into them and coloring purposefully now. this one he did in sunday school and he was very excited about his red and green apples. I think it’s cute.

the latter half of the week:011

no pic for thursday. layla, micah and I were out ALL afternoon w/ our realtor looking at houses. we saw SIX! kinda crazy, but fun. layla drew a picture of the 6 houses, in their correct colors, a long with her little sentence describing it. (note: must be read bottom to top to make any sense at all.) friday’s pic is a collage of our after-dark bike riding adventure in the library parking lot, and saturday’s picture is an organized cubby on a shelf in my dining room – one of my projects for the day.

and now, a close up of that nifty new thing I’m doing:008  yes, that’s one of the bigger, scored journaling cards. but it’s not folded. yes, it’s tucked down behind the 8x10. yes, the collage pictures are numbered.

here’s how I did it:

002I arranged the adhesive on the mounting paper so that it had 2 on either side of where the card would go, and 2 at the bottom, where I wanted the card to stop (so it wouldn’t fall all the way behind the picture.)

003then I attached the picture. (and yes, I was using my PL album as my flat surface. sorry. I was doing this on my bed because my bedroom is where all my scrapbooking supplies are kept.)

004  the card gets slid in, between the picture and the paper.

005  and sits like so, with the tab sticking out for easy removal.

I then dated the top of the card (in case the cards get removed and/or rearranged somehow), and wrote a description of each of the pictures in the collage, numbered, to correspond with the numbers on the pictures.001 (2)

I had been brainstorming how to solve this little dilemma for awhile. I wanted to include the extra pictures from the week, which I solved with the 8x10 collage pictures. but then I wanted to be able to somehow caption or journal the pictures that were in this collage.

I had thought about using the big journaling cards, but fold them and put them in the spare slot for each week. I found 2 problems with this. first, I like having the extra slot w/ the decorative cards. I like the way it looks. second, because I have 3 pictures on the left side and 4 pictures on the right side, I (for my own sanity and sense of order) NEED to have 3 journaling cards on the left and 4 on the right. if I were to put the folded journaling card in a spare slot, it would have to be on the left side, but (and this is the ONE thing I don’t like about project life) the page protectors are not open on that side and it would then be inaccessible from that week’s side of the page. all things I could not handle. SO, I came up with this. I like it.

I plan to go back and make cards for my previous week’s 8x10 collage pictures, but I’m not going to go back and reprint them with numbers on the. not a $1.50 a pop! so I’ve taken some creative memories mini abc/123 stickers I had, and just stuck the numbers on the outside to the page protectors. the numbers are a little big, but oh well. it works. next time I’ll start right! this is such a learning process and I love how flexible it is. I keep getting new and better ideas as the year goes on.

at any rate, IF, for some reason, this fabulous idea of mine winds up not working as well as I think it does, I’ll post and update. but for now, I really like it!

and that’s week 14!

as usual, I’ll be linking up over at the mom creative, for project life tuesday!PL-TuesdaySM 

so be sure to check out more great ideas over there!

Comments

  1. I like it! It looks really good. I really like having things stick out from behind stuff. It gives it a little more interest you know? I think that is why the monthly tabbed dividers are so awesome for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

all comments are moderated. unkind comments will be deleted.

you may like...

first day of school

so, we started school today. this is a big deal because it is OUR first day of official homeschooling. you know, here. at home. most everyone reading this is already aware of the fact that shane has been homeschooled since first grade, but that he has spent the majority of that ‘school’ time, with my mother as his ‘teacher’. this was a fine arrangement, she was willing and more than qualified, and he was learning. but for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being my mother’s current cancer issues, it had become clear that it was time for me to take over. AND,with layla being 4 now, i really wanted to do a little bit more preschool stuff with her. being a little bit of a chicken flake, i (with much urging from my loving husband) decided the best route to go would be with a packaged curriculum. i figured it would be the most time-effective way to cover what we needed to cover, and be somewhat dummy-proof, but at the same time, having the option to supplement with as much

i have "done something"

about shane's room. if you notice over there on my BIG FAT TO DO LIST, for ages now, i've had "do something about shane's room" on the list. and it has sat there on the list, doing nothing.  well yesterday, we "did something". i couldn't put "clean shane's room".  that wouldn't really cover it.  i wasn't sure exactly how to phrase what is was that needed to be done in there, mainly because i don't really know the proper grammatical term for "set off 4 sticks of dynamite followed by much jackhammering and industrial vacuuming".  needless to say, it was a pit! every saturday, one of his chores is to clean his room.  but at this point, that was just putting clothes in the basket, books on the shelf, toys in bins, etc.  anything else was WAY too big of an undertaking for a 9 year old boy on his way out the door. sadly, i didn't think to take a 'before' picture, so i didn't bother with an '

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

Micah’s Birthday

This kid had the audacity to turn 13 yesterday… As was expected, I was a bit of a hot mess about the whole affair. Here’s his “last day to be 12” photo. He ran out of fingers a couple years ago, so taking a page out of Shane’s book, he borrowed a couple of feet from the cat to make 12. But, not too old to choose Lucky Charms for his birthday breakfast. He got his happy birthday facetime call first thing and got to open his gift from Gramma and Skip while they watched… He’s had a boom box on his list this year. You might remember that 2 years ago, it was a Walkman. The obsession with 80s audio continues. Gramma found this one and it seems to fit the bill. Looks totally retro, plays and records tapes but also has radio AND a USB port so he could use some modern tech with it, as well. So, he spent the morning taking advantage of the birthday allowances of not having to do his weekend chores and lifted time limits on video games… all while listening to the radio or one

project life–week 18

the three amigos… this trio of the neighbors’ poultry is always in my parents’ yard. and spark way too many “why did the chicken cross the road” jokes. these are the two lilacs I gave my mom for mother’s day two years ago. last year, only one bloomed. looks like this year, both will have some nice flowers! when I get to the bottom of a bag of chips and they’re too small to effectively scoop up salsa, I just dump them in a bowl, pour salsa over them, and eat the whole delicious mess with a spoon. not ashamed. dave got himself a new set of bike tools. everyone had to check it out. first grade music concert. micah had a solo! saturday baseball fun. pitching, homerun derby, bouncy houses, dunk the coach… and of course, eating kettle corn and horsing around.