Skip to main content

paleo cranberry muffins and other, completely unrelated, ramblings…

so I’ve been busting out my susie homemaker all day today, in preparation for our trip. odd little tidbit about me: I am incapable of leaving on a trip, no matter how short, if every laundry basket in the house is not empty.

so I’ve been doing some laundry. some. just a tad.004 and for the record, this does not include all of my shirts, my jammies, dave’s shirts, or dave’s socks and underwear which all went directly into their respective closet or drawer, nor does it include the shower curtain which got rehung in the shower, the set of sheets that is still in the dryer, or 2 pairs of shane’s ‘skinny jeans’ which are being hung to dry so as to avoid being ‘too skinny’.

I am aware that I have a problem.

not sure there’s a support group for that kind of problem, though…

moving on.

then I peeled and sliced about 10 apples which are now in the dehydrator. so if you notice that my house burns down at some point in the next few days, it’s because I forgot to take the apples out of the dehydrator before we left… ahem! (note to self…)

I also made a quick trip to the store for some things. my dietary restrictions are a bit daunting right now, so I wanted to be prepared while away from home. around here, I have my stashes of go-to meals and snacks if what everyone else is eating is not something I can have. so I wanted to do some baking so I could have some snacks and breakfasts on hand, and not have to be a pain in the butt guest!

in my veggie box this morning, I got a pint of fresh cranberries. (complete side note here: shane and layla came home from school, saw the box of cranberries, and were possessed to try one! I warned them that fresh cranberries are a bit tart, and then I about fell over laughing as I watched their faces contort as they ate them! wish I’d had a video camera handy! here ends the side note.) hmmm… that says ‘cranberry muffins’ to me, so I looked up a recipe, and I declare it to be a success! in fact, I’m trying REALLY hard to not go and eat a second muffin right now. I want to have them for the trip, and I want to be able to share them with my family… clearly, I should have made more. geez. I already doubled the recipe!

007

I found the recipe I used here, but of course, I messed with it a little. not much. obviously, I doubled it, and I also threw in about a 1/4 cup of almond meal/flour at the end because the batter looked too soupy to me. that was a good call, so I highly recommend adding that. the other thing is that the baking time was for mini muffins, and I did full size muffins, so I had to add a few extra minutes. not sure how many. just keep an eye on them. haha! I know there are specifics-loving people out there just cringing right now!

Comments

  1. Funny... my Emma called me one day from her babysitting job to tell me she had bought herself some fresh cranberries and she was struggling to eat them ;)

    AND... thank you for the recipe, I will be sure to give them a go!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

all comments are moderated. unkind comments will be deleted.

you may like...

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

it just keeps getting better...

so obviously, from my earlier post, the dinner-making portion of my day was a little less than spectacular.  oh, that was just the beginning. dave worked late today. after dinner, i ran a bath for the younger 2 and in the process of getting them from the dining room to the bathroom, micah knocked the container of cheerios off the table and they dumped ALL OVER the floor.  i scooped up what i could and threw it back in the container, then, mindful that the water was still running in the tub and i didn't want to flood the bathroom, i herded the kids into the bathroom and dumped them into the tub. i went back into the dining room and proceeded to sweep up the mound of cheerios that was left on the floor, all the while keeping an ear open for both voices and giggles in the bathroom (as long as you can hear them, their heads are above water, right?).  that took all of about 2 minutes. i looked in on them (both happy as could be) and discovered that both of my younger, happy ch

white wine marinated pork chops recipe

this recipe comes from the weber’s REAL GRILLING cookbook and is my family’s recent favorite way to have pork chops. shane thinks these are the best food he’s ever eaten, and will generally eat 2!  i think layla asked for seconds as well, and micah pretended they weren’t on his plate… which is typical.  we’ve made them on the grill, or broiling in the oven, and both are equally good. 1/2 cup dry white wine 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh thyme (I have used dried as well, and it works fine) 1 tbsp minced garlic (think I used a clove, maybe two) 2 tsp kosher salt (this was a little much. I think the second time I made them I reduced it to 1.5 tsp.) 1 tsp freshly ground pepper pork chops (4 or 5) whisk ingredients together in a bowl. place pork chops in a large ziplock and pour in marinade. seal and turn several times. refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once or twice.  allow chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. remove f

tater tot casserole recipe

i realized i forgot to post this last week when we had it.  i actually like it a little better than the hash brown one, but both are good.  it’s VERY similar. once again, this is something i’ve made so many times that i just kind of wing it now, although i do have the recipe that kate sent to me after she made it for my family when micah was born. i like to keep the recipe because it has some little ‘britishisms’ throughout, just like kate! ;-) who, by the way, rocks, having called to check up on me the other evening when she saw that the power in our area was out AGAIN!  thanks kate, smooch smooch! but now i’m getting distracted… big surprise. here goes. you will need: 1 lb or so ground beef (or ground turkey) 1 chopped onion a bunch of veggies (kate’s recipe calls for a ‘tin’ of mixed veggies, but i use fresh carrots & celery if i’ve got’em, frozen beans, peas, corn, whatever).  maybe 2-3 cups. 1 can (or tin) of cream of something soup (i use celery usually

the swimsuit rant

i’ll forewarn you that most averaged-sized women will probably not appreciate this post very much. i understand. i’ve been (either directly or indirectly) the object of various hatred more than once. i am not an average-sized woman. i’m only 5’1” on a good day, and i’ve never donated blood because most of the time (when not pregnant – and therefore not allowed), i don’t weigh enough to do so. i do not ‘diet’, so to speak, nor do i work out compulsively. i try to eat healthy food, for the most part, and i try not to sit on my butt all day. this is just the way i am. our current culture views me as ‘lucky’ to have this body type. whatever. a couple hundred years ago, people would have considered me ‘unhealthy’. i am what i am. i am small woman. as the Lord has seen fit, i am a small woman who has given birth to 3 children. as i see fit, i am a small woman who wishes to exercise a bit of modesty, even when swimming. unfortunately, the swimwear industry, seems to think that the only