i was discussing this sort of thing w/ my MIL recently and she said there were some books she had when the boys were young that explained things to kids that adults often tell them to do w/out giving them explicit instructions. so i thought about it and decided to write my own. i mean, really, if i expect shane to clean his room, i ought to tell him HOW i want him to clean it, so he knows what i expect. so i wrote them out. keep in mind, these are 9 year old instructions. they would have to be adjusted accordingly. i actually don’t expect him to do much less than i would expect of myself. (bummer for him!)
How to clean your room:
- strip your bed.
- put all dirty clothes in the laundry basket
- put all clean clothes in the closet or dresser
- put all shoes in the rack on the door.
- pick up everything off the floor and put it on your bed to sort.
- start by throwing away anything that’s trash.
- return anything that doesn’t belong in your room to where it does belong.
- put anything remaining on your bed away
- dresser: put away or throw away anything that doesn’t belong; run yellow duster over lamp and dresser surface.
- desk: put away or throw away anything that doesn’t belong; run yellow duster over surface and computer.
- shelves: put away or throw away anything that doesn’t belong, straighten up books/toys.
- under your bed: remove anything that doesn’t belong and put/throw it away.
- behind your door: put/throw away anything that is there.
- closet: make sure all clothes are on hangers and the floor is clean.
- pick clean sheets to put on your bed.
- empty garbage can
- vacuum floor.
- return vacuum and duster to their homes.