Skip to main content

valentine’s day in victoria: part 1

for valentine’s day, dave surprised me BIG TIME. he had planned a weekend away in victoria, BC, and even flew his mom up here to stay with the kids over the weekend. all, unbeknownst to me.

first of all, for the last couple of years, dave has been giving me little valentine treats every day of february, leading up to valentine’s day. not big, elaborate stuff, but chocolate, coffee, soaps, stuff like that. on thursday, the 12th, he forgot. I didn’t really even notice. but he had also told me that he would be late getting home on friday, because he had to “pick up part of my valentine’s day present”.

somewhat unrelated, but relevant to the story are the following bits of information:

friday was the day my origami owl designer kit arrived and I was crazy excited to open it up and go through it. I had posted a bunch of pictures of the stuff on facebook and people were oohing and ahhing over it all. I made a comment, “can’t I just keep it all?” (to which the answer is “yes” since I own it all and it is for the purpose of showing to people at jewelry bars.)

on friday evenings, bonez and I have dog training class from 7:30-8:30. this was our 3rd class. prior to this, he had been a good dog. friendly with the other dogs in the class, being relatively cooperative with the commands we were working on, etc. this day was a disaster. he growled at all the other dogs. he wouldn’t sit, lay down, or do any of the stuff he was supposed to be doing. I was distracted and upset by this and was missing instructions from the trainer who then had to correct me and I felt like an idiot. it was a BAD session.

so then I got in the car after our awful class and looked at my phone. a fb notification popped up while I was looking at it, so I went to see what it was. it was dave, making another snarky comment on my post. this was the last in a series of what I viewed as rude comments that made him sound like an over-controlling, money-grubbing nazi!

it was the last straw and I burst into tears.

cried the whole way home from monroe.

pulled into the garage and continued crying in the car.

eventually, dave came out to see what was keeping me.

I yelled at him. I called him names. he was notably frustrated by this, although he apologized and assured me that he was joking in all of his comments.

he kept going back in the house and coming out to the garage again.

eventually, he apologized enough and I was convinced to come inside. he then gave me a bouquet of market flowers and said that that was for the 12th, which he forgot.

and then he said that the one for the 13th (that day) was in the pantry. I assumed it was something to eat.

I opened the door of the pantry and there stood my mother-in-law!

I screamed!

he explained that she was here to watch the kids and we were going away for the weekend!

I panicked and exclaimed, “but there’s no food in the house!” to which I was laughed at and assured that my MIL knew how to buy groceries.

dave told me that he could tell me right then, where we were going, or I could wait until the next day when we were on our way… but I needed to be ready to go at 6:45 am.

and then I really panicked, declared that I needed a moment, ran upstairs, and climbed into bed.

I don’t take surprises very well…

after a little while, dave came upstairs and told me what the plan was. we were getting on the victoria clipper in the morning and spending the weekend sightseeing.

the idea was still a little overwhelming, so I did the logical thing and started a bunch of laundry. I decided that packing in the morning would be a better plan.

it was a better plan, and we were on our way, bright (well, actually it was rather dark and overcast) and early.

043

once in victoria, we dropped our bag at the hotel and RAN to catch our tour bus that was taking us to butchart gardens.

(total side note here, the last time I was at butchart gardens was when I was 15 and I was with my parents. it was summer. the summer I was supposed to be spending on the most awesome training trifecta: lake arrowhead, colorado springs, and sun valley… but instead, I wound up with a stress fracture and had to spend the summer off the ice, on crutches, at home. it sucked. at some point, my parents got the brilliant idea that we should go to victoria. while there, we walked a lot. I was on crutches. it sucked. we also went to butchart gardens. on crutches. it sucked.) scan0017 (2)scan0018 (2) 

at any rate, this time, there were no crutches involved and it was much more pleasant. after some lunch in the coffee shop, we started walking around. february is probably not the most impressive time to be there, but at least there were crocuses blooming.

047

this is at the top of the sunken gardens. this was the place I insisted to my mother I did not want to go down into because I did not want to have to go back up the steps on my crutches. she insisted it would be fine. it was lame.  much more pleasant this time.048049 051

oh look! more crocuses!053054

this was pretty. there was a big write-up about the family who started it spending their summers swimming and boating in this little inlet.055

and apparently, one legged women are not allowed down that path…057 

058 059060

I’ve been known to be a little bit sarcastic sometimes…061

eventually we found an indoor place that had lots more flowers, including hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, orchids and… crocuses.065064 063066

then we took the bus back to our hotel and checked in. it was awesome! we had a rose petal turn-down, 067

and champagne and chocolate…

069

and a gorgeous view!070

we had dinner reservations at the steamship(?). I think that’s what it was called. we were seated out on the patio, which seems crazy for february, but there were standing patio heaters everywhere, and blankets draped over the back of every chair.074

and the view was amazing. our reservation was kind of early, but that was awesome because we got to watch the sunset and all the lights come on.075076078

for our wine, we decided to order a bottle of “blind trust”, a red blend that is a bit of a mystery. you don’t know what the blend is until you take off the neck wrapper and open it. we wound up loving it. we also had steaks for dinner and I learned why you should not order your steak well-done after I tasted dave’s medium steak and all of it’s wonderful juicy deliciousness. swoon!

077

after dinner, we walked around and enjoyed the city lit up.079080081

this car pulled up in front of the empress hotel when we were walking by. it was quite impressive, and I actually WALKED INTO A POST while looking at it. 082

we finished off the evening by taking a horse-drawn carriage ride!! one of those things I’ve always wanted to do, but never could justify the price. well, we finally did it, and it was awesome.083084

they dropped us off right at our hotel.

and as this post is already 400 times too long, I’ll put the next day in a different post.

Comments

you may like...

someone googled this stuff and found me!

these are as is... spelling errors and all. how to use a bathroom scale seriously? how hard is it? if you want step by step instructions, read this . washing machine doesn't empty bummer dude rachel's restroom i seem to remember someone predicting, when i was in high school, that i would go into the portable restroom business some day... "locks of love" site:blogspot.com because i'm totally the authority on that sort of thing. my hair is still in a ziplock bag waiting to be mailed. http://rambling-rachel.blogspot.com/ i think you typed this in the wrong place does 2 year old talk with imagination is there any other option? SLUDGE IN WORM BIN yummy. diapers to bed well, considering the other option... yes, please! imagination and 2 years old once again. 2 year olds do like to use their imaginations. loose change in my washing machine what priceless wisdom are you looking for here? how to get some? where did it come from? what to do with it? duh! rachel joe

“you should have your head examined!”

… i just did! yup, yesterday i had the thrilling experience of sitting in a hospital waiting room for 2 hours, followed by another in a trauma room.  no, i don’t think i had suffered any sort of major trauma – i think that’s just what room they had left to stick me in.  i mused about where we would go if they had to kick us out because a ‘real’ trauma situation arose.  thankfully, we didn’t have to learn the answer to that.  i guess i was a traumatic as it got during that window of time. backing up, i wound up in the hospital yesterday because micah threw some clothes on the ground.  the night before i had been folding laundry in the living room.  i had a couple of stacks of ‘hang up’ clothes that were draped over the baby gate in front of the fireplace.                         yes, it’s a christmas picture, but i knew i had it in my stash.  at any rate, there’s the ugly baby gate that the clothes were hanging on.  also notice the wood mantle above it that the nativity set is on. 

light n’ crisp waffles recipe - everyone's favorite!

i got this recipe from my dad. i have no idea where he got it, but these are the waffles i’ve been eating as long as i can remember. they are so delicious, easy, and HEALTHY! OHMYGOODNESS, i cannot help but go on and on about them because they are so incredibly fabulous! if you want to see my picky eaters eat, come on waffle night! i think last time I made these, layla (all 33 pounds of her) put away 4 quarters of a waffle. that’s one WHOLE 10 square inch waffle. (and yes, i did just pull out my waffle iron and measured it!) anyway, here it is, without further ado… 1 cup flour (I usually do 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat) 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal 1 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp baking powder* 1/2 tsp salt 2 eggs 1/2 cup oil 3 cups buttermilk put all dry ingredients into a bowl, break in the eggs, add oil, then stir in the buttermilk. *t he amount of baking powder is not an error, but is the secret of the crisp, tender result! let the batter stand for a short time (15-30 minutes) to allow t

white chicken chili recipe

was just chatting about recipes w/ a friend and realized that i have talked about this recipe, even photographed a bowl of it, but haven’t ever posted it on here. what a shame, because it’s one of my family’s absolute favorites! i got the recipe from my betty crocker cookbook, and it’s one of the first things i ever made for dave and i after we were married. i even have the date written down next to the recipe and a smiley face, indicating we liked it. =) i actually don’t mess with this recipe too much, so here goes… i usually make a double batch so i can freeze some and still have leftovers. it freezes really well, so it’s a nice thing to have on hand. 1/4 cup butter 1 large onion, chopped 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or pressed) 4 cups of cooked chicken (chopped, cubed, shredded, whatever – sometimes i just throw in a couple of the cans of chicken they sell in a 6 pack at costco, if i have them on hand and don’t have any cooked chicken handy) you could also use turkey 3 cup

tootin' my own horn! (for the sake of the earth)

so i'm not usually one to blab about how 'green' i am, but in honor of earth day tomorrow, i've decided to take a personal inventory of the choices i make daily that affect the future of our planet and the quality of our lives. i'm not usually an earth day celebrator since i try to treat every day as though it were earth day, and not just once a year. but i figured this was a good excuse. i've always walked a bit on the green side, but i really took a turn about a year and a half ago when i was influenced by raffi - yes, the children's musician - after reading his autobiography, life of a children's troubadour . this is, by the way, a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone who has ever enjoyed his music, or even remotely cares about children's or environmental advocacy. i don't want anyone to see this as any sort of snobbish, 'i am greener than you' kind of thing, but rather as a challenge to myself to see what else i can do,