Skip to main content

things I hate. installment #1.

no, I don’t mean stuff like hunger or child abuse or war… this is much more shallow than that. and I don’t mean stuff like vomit, either, although I’m pretty sure EVERYONE knows how much I hate that. no, this is more along the lines of “mundane things I hate to do, even though they’re not that hard”. I’m thinking about this now because I was looking around at some things I should really take care of today, and realizing that they need to be done because I really hate to do them. if I didn’t, they would already be done.

  1. washing out muffin tins. grrrrr… this drives me crazy. I swear all the junk never comes all the way out, and even if I use cupcake papers (which I’m usually out of), there’s always the drip or slop that didn’t quite make it into its designated hole. 004
  2. washing paintbrushes and paint cups. this is partially a throw back to my days of teaching preschool when I had to do this EVERY. DAY. something about old tempera paint (actually, even new tempera paint, now that I think about it) is really gross to me… this is why I avoid letting my kids paint like the plague. it’s one thing if 20 kids are going to use those paints and brushes. that’s worth it. but for 2? no way. I know I’m a totally sucky mom there, but I’m sure I make up for it somewhere else… I’m just sure of it.006
  3. folding mattress pads. this is similar to folding fitted sheets (which I also hate, btw), but on steroids. they are big and puffy, they don’t fold evenly, they don’t fit easily in a drawer, nor do they stack nicely in a closet. really, the only good place for these is ON a mattress. sadly, these are not mine, they are my parents’ and I washed them for them… and now they sit here. because I don’t want to fold them, and I don’t know what to do with them… 007
  4. ironing THESE pants. these are dave’s, and as you can see, they look like they need to be ironed, even though they’ve already been ironed. but that’s not even the worst part of it. they are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to iron. something about the way they are cut (which is actually REALLY flattering on my husband – thus the reason they are still in my house) makes them impossible to iron easily. they require a lot of fidgeting and manipulation, and ironing only small areas at a time and, inevitably you wind up ironing in wrinkles that you didn’t have to begin with. There’s also something about the fabric that makes them VERY reluctant to release their wrinkles. let me assure you that I am not an amateur ironer. I iron quite a bit. I actually enjoy it, most of the time. I come from a line of ironers… my grandmother used to iron my grandpa’s underwear, for goodness sake and my mom had me ironing pillowcases when I was in elementary school! I know how to iron… I know about sprinkling tough wrinkles with water, I know about the steam setting, I know the proper angles to use on the board and the proper heat settings on the iron. but these pants are my nemesis. I’m totally serious.008

at any rate, that’s my list of despised things for today. I’m sure I’ll come across plenty more, but that’ll do for now.

Comments

you may like...

books

so i have, what i’ve coined as, “book ADD”. basically, i love books. i love to read. i love the king county library system and their fabulous website. i love clicking the “place hold” button. i generally have upwards of 35 books checked out, a hold list a mile long, and a running ‘tab’ of fines for overdue books. but here’s the problem. i generally have so many books and i want to read them all, that i never wind up reading any of them. i’ll bring home a book, read a chapter or two, and then the next book on my list will come in. repeat. eventually, i will have read 2 chapters of a dozen or so books, they will be due to go back, and i’ll never get around to finishing them. ugh! well, i’m officially attempting to ‘kick that habit’. at my husband’s repeated suggestion, i’m learning to make use of the ‘freeze’ button on the library’s website. this enables you to keep your hold on the book, but not receive it until you want it. it just moves other people’s holds ahead of yours. this is

but i wanted beans!

i have discovered something amazing. until recently, layla would never eat green beans. well, she used to, and then a little more than a year or so ago, she started pulling them apart and eating the seeds out of them, leaving the rest. yeah, i know she's weird. then she quit eating them all together. she would just leave them on her plate. well, a couple fridays ago, we were having our pizza and beans and something prompted shane to pull these 'trainer' chopsticks out of the drawer. i've had them for a couple of years - i think i found them at a thrift store and thought they were cute and the kids could use them when we had chinese food. but we'd all kind of forgotten about them since we rarely eat chinese food (which makes me sad). so everyone got really excited about these and layla used them to eat every last one of her beans that night. dave and i exchanged some raised eyebrows as lightbulbs were illuminating above our heads. last night i made chicken sandwiches

random diaper musings

do you ever feel at odds with yourself? i constantly feel like i'm a big wad of contradictions. and being the living-in-my-head, overthinking type i can spend years, i mean hours pondering things. it can really get me down. example: diapers. one would think that this was a relatively easy thing to handle. i've got 3 kids. i'm pretty familiar with diapers. it seems so simple; your baby needs a change so you take the old diaper off and put a new one on. done. right? no. i have this constant dilemma going on. cloth or disposable. i have 25 perfectly good fitted cloth diapers that i paid a lot of money for when i decided a couple years ago that i was done filling up landfills. so micah wears them a good share of the time. but it bugs me that they're so bulky, especially with the covers on and clothes fit funny and that totally drives me nuts. so at home, he just wears the diaper w/ no cover and when we leave the house, i put a disposable on him. not usually

pink bubblegum goo, inaugurations and insomnia...

yesterday morning, layla mentioned again that her ears hurt. so that, coupled w/ the neon green snot and the vomit-inducing cough won her an all-expenses-paid trip to the doctor's office. dual acute otitis. aka, both ears were infected. AND, get this, the doc said she had blisters on both her eardrums. BLISTERS! doesn't that sound awful? funny thing is, this was not one of those situations where it is clear as day that your kid has an ear infection (usually revealed in the middle of the night) and you start debating whether or not you can pump them full of tylenol and pray they last until 7:30am when you can call the dr.'s office and get the earliest available appointment, or if you have to go to the ER at O-dark-thirty. (btw, i'm sure my 'critics' will have a hay day with that last one, but oh well.) she really only mentioned her ears a couple of times, but never really complained or moaned or whined or cried about them like i would expect. we've

bacon-potato chowder recipe

dave found this recipe at some point when we were living in ohio. he apparently had a hankering for some chowder of some kind. so I have no idea where the credit goes in this case. but we’ve been making it ever since, so it was definitely a winner! 1 lb. bacon cut in small pieces 1 cup chopped onions 4 cups diced potatoes 2 cups water 1 tsp salt (and some pepper) 2 cans cream of something soup (chicken or celery) 2 cups sour cream 3 cups milk **edited to add: apparently, dave says he adds a clove or two of garlic as well. chop them up with them up and add them with the onions.** in a big pot, cook bacon over medium heat. add onion and cook until tender. drain off grease. add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. cook 15 minutes. stir in soup, sour cream, and milk. cook until heated through. easy, but best to do all you’re chopping, dicing, and measuring ahead of time. if you like it thick, simmer a little longer… don’t make this if you are dairy intolerant or on a diet! lol. a