Skip to main content

food allergy update

well, I’m well past my 8 week elimination diet where I cut out all of the ‘red’ foods that had registered a reaction of some sort on my allergy test. I’ve been back to the doctor and reintroduced a lot of the foods that I had cut out. for the most part, I’m doing fine with it.

the first thing to go back in was chicken. that seems fine.

I also added back dates and green beans. no problem.

I think I’ve had white potatoes once or twice, and didn’t notice any major issues.

there are other things on the list that I cut out, but they either were not something I ate very often and still don’t (so therefore I haven’t really gone out of my way to go get them and eat them to try) or I have no intention of adding them back in because I feel great without them in my diet.

the two biggest things are wheat and dairy. the reason I had the test in the first place was because I was very suspicious of the wheat. I didn’t want the dairy to be a factor, but after cutting it out, I can now breathe through my nose for the first time EVER, and my asthma is gone. I can get through my workouts without mouth breathing, and hiking up hills in the cold, january air (a sure-fire asthma trigger) was no big deal.

so I don’t really miss those that much. (well, cheese a little bit, and I liked being able to throw a glop of yogurt into my smoothies for some extra protein.)

last friday, I decided to try some pizza. I missed the convenience of being able to eat pizza. and really, I like pizza. not being able to eat pizza made me feel kinda pouty. so I tried some, as a test. I ate two pieces. they were good, but not as good as I remember… interesting. and then I sat and waited to see how I would feel. I was almost hoping for a bad reaction, just so I wouldn’t have that dilemma in the future. as it turned out, I did get a stomachache soon after. it wasn’t terrible, and it didn’t last super-long, but it was obvious that it wasn’t agreeing with me 100%.

so, I guess that leaves me with 2 bits of information. 1) I will probably feel best if I admit that I should not eat pizza on friday nights, BUT 2) if I’m in a situation where I am starving, have no other food options but pizza (ie: party, family gathering, etc.), it won’t kill me to have a slice.

I guess that’s a good thing.

I will still continue to order my burgers wrapped in lettuce and without cheese and condiments.

the good thing about all of this is that I’ve learned some interesting things about foods.

  1. I LOVE sweet potatoes. especially sliced shoe-string style and baked in the oven. YUM!
  2. spaghetti squash is every bit as yummy under pasta sauce as regular noodles.
  3. diced and sautéed butternut squash is also a good pasta substitute.
  4. coconut milk in coffee is a great creamer.
  5. having a burger (or chicken sandwich) wrapped in lettuce is actually really yummy. you don’t need any condiments because it is not dry when you don’t have the bun acting like a sponge. you also don’t want any on there because they will squish out all over you and make it a very messy eating experience.
  6. it is so much easier to avoid treats and desserts. (there’s also the sugar addiction factor – if you don’t eat it, you won’t crave it. sugar works just like crack in your body, as far as the addiction goes.)
  7. the sesame-ginger salad dressing I discovered while searching for a non-dairy dressing that also has no balsamic vinegar in it is DELISH!
  8. dredging chicken in almond flour before browning/frying is every bit as good as wheat flour.
  9. you can make meatballs and meatloaf with almond flour, and, I would venture to assume, any other recipe that calls for bread crumbs.
  10. coconut flour/coconut milk pancakes are delicious. just get over the idea that they should taste like regular buttermilk pancakes.
  11. I actually like coconut flakes in stuff.

so, as far as diet goes now… I still consider my diet to be mainly paleo. but for the most part, I just say that I avoid wheat and dairy. if I make any baked goods, I use coconut or almond flour. but really, I don’t eat a lot of baked goods or desserts. even if you’re using ‘paleo approved’ sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, they’re still sweeteners and are best avoided in large or regular amounts. this is also because yeast was something that showed up on my test. in general, I will just avoid breads, cakes, cookies, etc. and I’m absolutely certain that I will be healthier because of it – allergy or not. that said, i refuse to completely write off all grains. this is mainly influenced by my love affair with popcorn and corn tortilla chips. actually, it’s not the chips, it’s that I love salsa (and guacamole too, I’ve discovered) and there isn’t really a suitable alternative. I don’t eat this stuff every day, but I do really like it. I also know that in the summer, I WILL eat corn on the cob. oh well. legumes are another thing I will not completely write off. legumes are not a huge part of my diet anyway. I eat something with beans or lentils in it MAYBE once a week, so I really don’t think that’s a big deal. I like a soup with beans in it. they have protein and other stuff… oh well.

basically, I don’t like a lot of hard and fast ‘rules’. I like logical guidelines, especially when it comes to diet. if you’re allergic to something, by all means, avoid it. but following rules for the sake of following rules drives me crazy.

here’s my biggest rule: if you want to be healthy and/or lose weight, avoid junk/processed food and sugar. that’s it. it’s not a terribly complex process. foods which can be eaten in the state in which they grow out of the ground are generally good for you. if something has to be ultra-processed, treated, or enriched in order to make it resemble food, then you should probably avoid it. COULD you make this yourself? ok. do you need to be a scientist in a lab to make it? don’t eat it! and don’t believe the low-fat hype. a processed product (salad dressing, packaged dinner, cracker, etc.) that is claiming to be low-fat is generally worse for you than it’s full-fat counterpart. why? because they have to put SOMETHING else into it to make it edible when they take all the fat out. this is usually sugar, excess salt, a highly processed oil, or something artificial… all of which do you way more harm than that fat you are trying to avoid. fat = not bad. sugar and artificial crap = very bad. the end. I’ll get off my soap box now.

Comments

Post a Comment

all comments are moderated. unkind comments will be deleted.

you may like...

dear neighbors which shall remain nameless,

i am writing this informational letter on behalf of your children, your bank account, and your auto insurance company, all of which suspect an impending blow to their current, healthy state. it appears that you may not be aware of certain traffic laws which pertain to the proper seating and safety of your children while in your vehicle, so i will take this opportunity to share them with you.   Washington's New Child Restraint Law Effective June 1, 2007, children less than eight years old must be restrained in child restraint systems, unless the child is four feet nine inches or taller. A child who is eight years old or older, or four feet nine inches or taller, must be properly restrained either with the motor vehicle's safety belt or an appropriately fitting child restraint system. Children under thirteen years old must be transported in rear seats where it is practical to do so. The fine for improperly restrained children in motor vehicles is at least $112 per c

idiosyncratic kids, bad parenting, and the like…

here’s a random post for you.  a smorgasbord of tasty day-to-day anecdotes with no topic in particular. HOW TO MAKE “D-CHEESES”   - just in case you find yourself in charge of my daughter around snack time. i have no idea where she came up with this, or why it is called ‘d-cheese’, but if she asks for d-cheese, this is how you make it:   the stacking is key! if you should, for some reason decided to cut one half and then the other half, you’re asking for it.  the two halves must be stacked and then cut. and all 4 pieces must be stacked on top of each other before handing over.  how she came up with this, and how i figured it out, i have no idea. i never claimed to have normal kids. BREAD ANYONE? the other night we had bread with dinner, but forgot to eat it. micah found it a little later and decided to have a little snack.            he was reaching into the bread and digging it out.  do you see the hole he put in that piece? and finally, WANNA FEEL LI

big fat nothing

see all the big welts?  yeah, me neither.  our spectacular appointment with the allergist revealed that layla is allergic to nothing.  so we're back to square one and we know nothing other than that something is causing her bladder issues and we don't know what.  maybe her doctor can put a little pressure on the urologist to see us.  who knows.  and food doesn't seem to be causing her skin issues, nor the rash she gets on her face after eating sometimes.  okay, that's not exactly accurate.  food is causing it, but not an allergy.  she has sensitive skin and when food gets smeared on her face, it irritates her skin. so, as disappointed as i am that we've gotten nowhere here, i am looking on the bright side that she isn't allergic to something major like wheat or dairy that would create a significant lifestyle change in regards to our diet.  so in that respect, it's good news.  i just really want some answers.

my mind is blank…

i’ve been really bad about blogging lately. i really don’t feel like i have anything interesting to say. we haven’t been anywhere lately. no one has been sick or hurt themselves lately. no one has visited us. i’m still working on my mom’s shawl, but it isn’t done yet. really. it’s pathetic. i think we need to take this as a hint and plan to do something exciting sometime soon. we’re kind of winding down and getting ‘mentally prepared’ for the school year. shane’s curriculum for the year is here and all loaded onto the computer, just waiting for him to start figuring it out (me too). i’ve got stuff floating around in my head about what sort of stuff i want to do with layla this year. it’s still preschool, so i have a very laid back attitude about it. fortunately, she thinks that ‘schoolwork’ and anything that seems to have an academic twist to it is SUPER cool, so there will be no struggle with her about that sort of thing, like there always has been with shane. i think the

random diaper musings

do you ever feel at odds with yourself? i constantly feel like i'm a big wad of contradictions. and being the living-in-my-head, overthinking type i can spend years, i mean hours pondering things. it can really get me down. example: diapers. one would think that this was a relatively easy thing to handle. i've got 3 kids. i'm pretty familiar with diapers. it seems so simple; your baby needs a change so you take the old diaper off and put a new one on. done. right? no. i have this constant dilemma going on. cloth or disposable. i have 25 perfectly good fitted cloth diapers that i paid a lot of money for when i decided a couple years ago that i was done filling up landfills. so micah wears them a good share of the time. but it bugs me that they're so bulky, especially with the covers on and clothes fit funny and that totally drives me nuts. so at home, he just wears the diaper w/ no cover and when we leave the house, i put a disposable on him. not usually