Skip to main content

eggs and veggies

I have a love-hate relationship with eggs.

I would love to be able to love eggs. but in reality, they give me the heebie jeebies. there’s something about the texture of them, the way they change texture, the way they smell, where they came from, why we think they are supposed to be food…

pair that with many years of waitressing and serving trays full of eggs, cooked in various methods and smelling various ways, and I’m just really not a fan.

but, eggs are good for you. a good dose of protein is a great way to start your day. but the ways I will eat eggs are pretty limited. pretty much, scrambled is it. nothing can be runny. NOTHING. nor can it be spongy. nor can it be rubbery. nor can it be stinky. so hard boiled, soft boiled, over easy, over medium, sunny side up, poached, baked in a quiche… all of that’s out. and over hard is out as well, because I can’t stand hard yolk by itself.

so yeah. scrambled.

even scrambled, I don’t really like them. I have to cook them VERY well, and smother them with something like salt and pepper or cheese, or some sort of breakfast meats in order to NOT TASTE the eggs.

well, all that kind of defeats the purpose of eating the eggs in the first place!

so, in my effort to consciously only put into me that which is good, solid, healthful fuel for my body, I have taken to staring into the fridge for long periods of time, looking for something to make my eggs yummy without destroying the nutrition factor.

I have come up with 2 very key things. the first is fresh veggies. I especially love raw or barely hot sautéed veggies. and the more the better. the second is salsa. not runny, everything squished up in a blender salsa. salsa fresca! or pico de gallo! something with a lot of chunks of a lot of all the stuff that makes good fresh salsa one of my favorite foods on this earth!

so here is what I do. I dice some celery and onions and throw them in the pan to sauté. not a ton. I’m just making this for myself. so like one slice across the bunch of celery, and one slice across the middle of an onion (maybe two if I’m feeling adventurous and don’t have to talk to a lot of people that day!) while those are getting a little softer, I cut up a little bit of carrots, broccoli, whatever else I have that sounds good, then I throw them in the pan, tossing everything around every now and again. then I chop up some black olives and throw them in the pan along with a big spoonful of fresh salsa. this is key! I never used to understand why people put salsa on their eggs. in my experience, it just makes them cold and soggy! but by tossing it in the pan for just a teensy bit, a lot of the liquid cooks off and it gets heated through! then I dump everything into a bowl and cook my eggs. yeah, they look a little brown from all the stuff that was just in the pan, but I don’t care. I’m too lazy to wipe out the pan or get a different one. that’s just more work. when the eggs are mostly cooked on one side, I make sure they are good and loose, and then flip them, omelet style (I’m amazingly good at this! and it’s so fun. plus you feel a major sense of accomplishment. trust me.), and dump the bowl of veggies on top. then I use my spatula to start breaking up the eggs and mix everything together. there are two reasons I do it this way. first is that I don’t want my veggies to cook any longer than they already have. the second, is that I don’t want them encased in eggs. when you do that, all the flavors kind of start to run together.

002

notice that the amount of veggies is almost equal to the amount of eggs!

dump onto a plate, a little grind of pepper, a fork, and breakfast is served! your taste buds will not know what to do with themselves!

Comments

you may like...

fillet of sole

so i sat micah at the table today to eat his lunch.  he had a plate of food, a fork to eat it with, he was buckled into his seat, and had shoes on his feet.  i left the room and came back to find him out of his chair, done with his food, and this scene:    want a closer look?  i know you do…     yes, that’s a fork IN the shoe.           have i mentioned he’s a total houdini?  the straps are still buckled and it’s impossible to get them tight enough to keep him in.  but i’m loving that he left a shoe behind.  it’s so cinderella. i’m kind of thinking at this point that i should maybe look inside the shoe, just to be sure he didn’t stash any of his lunch in there. i’ve said it before, i never claimed to have normal kids. at least he ate…

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

does home ec even exist anymore?

my last post got me thinking about how i somehow missed 'learning' all of those things which are essential in running a successful home. i'm wondering who dropped the ball on this (because, i can't possibly take responsibility for my own shortcomings here). i guess traditionally, one learns these things from their parents. i suppose i did learn a lot of my domestic skills at home. for example, the husband is supposed to eat the leftovers in the fridge. when making a bed, the 'top' of the top sheet goes down so that when you fold the edge over the blanket, the 'top' side is then up. why this matters when you are just going to cover the whole thing with a pillow and comforter is totally beyond me. but that's how you do it. so yes, my mother taught me how to iron, do laundry, clean a toilet, etc. my dad taught me how to plant a garden, mow a lawn, appreciate baseball, etc. and then there's home ec. do people still take home ec? i took it

i’m sure i will offend all sorts people with this…

… but i just don’t get why the entire world is so torn up about the death of michael jackson. yes, he had an insanely successful career as a singer/entertainer/pop star. yes, he took a lot of that to a whole new level. yes, i remember thriller and doing the moonwalk. yes, i remember wanting one of those red leather jackets, and one of those sparkly white gloves. however… i’m also wondering why everyone else is seeming to forget how he bleached his skin (and then had a big hit stating that it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white… always wondered about that one), underwent so much plastic surgery that he barely looked human anymore, made crotch-grabbing an acceptable dance move, hung his kid over a balcony, showed up for court in his pajamas, and, oh yeah, was accused of child molestation HOW MANY TIMES??? this was a VERY disturbed man. i have never understood why being a celebrity excuses people from upholding the same morals and standards that we expect of normal people. i w

blessed with good oral health!

well, i made it another 6 months with no cavities! i had a dentist appointment today. my second in six months, but prior to that, i don’t think i’d been in 4+ years. oops. i was much less nervous for this appointment than i was for the last one. last time i figured my luck had run out and because i’d been bad about seeing the dentist, this time i’d really ‘pay’ for it. but no. other than a little excessive scraping of tartar (4 years’ worth), everything was fine. around the time i turned 20, i pretty much assumed, every time i went to the dentist, that this was finally my time for a cavity. i mean, how long really, can one person go without ANY cavities? well, now i’m kind of over that and figure that maybe my teeth are just impenetrable or something. at any rate, every time the dentist comes in at the end of my cleaning, pokes around for a minute and tells me my teeth look great, i breathe a sigh of relief and feel tremendous gratitude for my good teeth. the no cavities thing is only