Skip to main content

what’s in my closet? installment #2– “nicer” shirts

these are generally the shirts that I don’t wear so much on a daily basis, for one reason or another… they seem too good to wear around the house? I don’t know. dumb reason.

first picture:024

  1. red/orange babydoll(?) top (forever 21 – via thrift store): I LOVE this top. the ruffles on the top, the eyelet flowers and scallops on the bottom. LOVE it. yes, it looks a tad like a maternity shirt, but I try not to let that bother me. oh, and it’s really long, so that’s a cool something different. I don’t wear it as often as I should because it needs to be ironed.
  2. blue vertical stripe western shirt (gap – via thrift store): I like this. it has cool snaps, and nifty lines. same story as the one above as far as why I don’t wear it often.
  3. charcoal pleated blouse (the limited – via thrift store): I like this shirt, but it’s seen better days and the pleats don’t stay flat, even with ironing. maybe I’ll try line drying it and see if it helps. if not, it’s going.

second picture:025

  1. pink 3/4 sleeve blouse (my mom): I don’t like this shirt. the end.
  2. red top (target – via mary): I like this shirt in theory, but I haven’t worn it yet, so I’m not sure. I’m a bit concerned that it might be too plungey for my liking, but we’ll wait to see after I actually wear it.
  3. pink/white vertical stripe blouse (original source unknown – via thrift store): I really like this top. it’s a little old-ladyish, but I still like it. it has this cute gathering up near the shoulders, and the fabric is kinda puckery.

third picture:026

  1. blue paisley top (target – via mary): I like this shirt, but it’s not super-functional for me. it has those cool split, floppy sleeves, which don’t work so well for cooking, washing dishes, applying glue to whatever layla’s latest project is, cleaning toilets, doing laundry, or any number of other things that come up in my daily life. I also think it’s a little bit short, but I wear a cami under it anyway, so it’s not terrible. I like it, but it has limited function.
  2. white tunic w/ silver pin stripes (target – via mary): I like this top a lot. I wore it to christmas dinner at my cousin’s this year because the silver seems so festive! I also wore it on new year’s eve. I don’t like to wear it for every day because the fabric is thin and I’m afraid I’ll wear it out/tear it or something. but it’s nice for special-er occasions.
  3. white short sleeve top (fred meyer): LOVE this top. I got it because I needed a white shirt for a BIG family picture 3 years ago. I wanted something ‘pretty’. I wore it again for our family picture that we had taken a couple months ago. yeah, redundant, I know. but it’s very pretty. love the lacy trim on the neck. it’s gathered in the back. can’t wear it for every day because of the same reason as the other white one.

fourth picture:027

  1. green crinkly blouse(walmart): I hate this top. I liked it when I first got it, but it doesn’t function the way it did then. not sure why. love the color, but not the shirt. anyway, it’s already in the toss pile.
  2. gray pleated blouse (express): I really like this top. pleats in the front and gathered in the back. it’s a pain in the butt to iron, but totally worth it. it’s my favorite dressy or going out top. the only thing I don’t like about it is the color. I wish it were more… colorful! I feel kinda boring if I’m wearing it with jeans or black pants. I tried putting a bright cami under it, but it doesn’t show. a scarf would hide the cool pleats… suggestions for how to glam this up a bit?

well, that’s it for those. some of these I should really wear more than I do. the whole needing to be ironed excuse is not really legit. I actually like ironing. it’s a chore I don’t mind. you can chat or watch tv while doing it, it’s relatively easy, and not at all gross. and I love the way hot fabric smells! seriously. I have this secret fantasy of tossing out all of our cotton knit clothing and going with all stuff that could be hung dry and ironed. I won’t actually do that because I’m not completely insane, but it is just to prove the point that I really don’t mind ironing.

the end.

lemme know what you think!

Comments

  1. The first one is cute. I would totally wear it with dark jeans and ballet flats, all the time. #2 is cute but I have my own personal issues with button up shirts. I feel very frumpy in them but I like how they look on other people. I really like #3 too. Cute color, cute pleats. #4-see #2. #5-way plungy. I always wore a tank underneath. #6- ditto to the other button up comments. #7-I wore it all the time when I was at Concordia but not so much when I had kids. #8 and #9- I have a weakness for cute white tops so I love them both. I wore mine all the time. I NEVER ironed it because I don't like ironing but did the whole toss in the dryer and hang and didn't have too many issues with it. I always wore it to work. #10- agreed. Good call. #11-super cute. I would do the same thing as #1. Dark rinse jeans and bright shoes, jewelry and purse. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First picture red baby doll top=adorable.
    Second picture, nothing jumps out at me
    Third picture #2 top=adorable!!! I have trouble wearing tops like that, but I love them, and p.s. peasant is totally back for the spring/summer!
    Fourth picture, express top=amazing! The fit is what you pay for, and I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

all comments are moderated. unkind comments will be deleted.

you may like...

fillet of sole

so i sat micah at the table today to eat his lunch.  he had a plate of food, a fork to eat it with, he was buckled into his seat, and had shoes on his feet.  i left the room and came back to find him out of his chair, done with his food, and this scene:    want a closer look?  i know you do…     yes, that’s a fork IN the shoe.           have i mentioned he’s a total houdini?  the straps are still buckled and it’s impossible to get them tight enough to keep him in.  but i’m loving that he left a shoe behind.  it’s so cinderella. i’m kind of thinking at this point that i should maybe look inside the shoe, just to be sure he didn’t stash any of his lunch in there. i’ve said it before, i never claimed to have normal kids. at least he ate…

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!

does home ec even exist anymore?

my last post got me thinking about how i somehow missed 'learning' all of those things which are essential in running a successful home. i'm wondering who dropped the ball on this (because, i can't possibly take responsibility for my own shortcomings here). i guess traditionally, one learns these things from their parents. i suppose i did learn a lot of my domestic skills at home. for example, the husband is supposed to eat the leftovers in the fridge. when making a bed, the 'top' of the top sheet goes down so that when you fold the edge over the blanket, the 'top' side is then up. why this matters when you are just going to cover the whole thing with a pillow and comforter is totally beyond me. but that's how you do it. so yes, my mother taught me how to iron, do laundry, clean a toilet, etc. my dad taught me how to plant a garden, mow a lawn, appreciate baseball, etc. and then there's home ec. do people still take home ec? i took it

i’m sure i will offend all sorts people with this…

… but i just don’t get why the entire world is so torn up about the death of michael jackson. yes, he had an insanely successful career as a singer/entertainer/pop star. yes, he took a lot of that to a whole new level. yes, i remember thriller and doing the moonwalk. yes, i remember wanting one of those red leather jackets, and one of those sparkly white gloves. however… i’m also wondering why everyone else is seeming to forget how he bleached his skin (and then had a big hit stating that it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white… always wondered about that one), underwent so much plastic surgery that he barely looked human anymore, made crotch-grabbing an acceptable dance move, hung his kid over a balcony, showed up for court in his pajamas, and, oh yeah, was accused of child molestation HOW MANY TIMES??? this was a VERY disturbed man. i have never understood why being a celebrity excuses people from upholding the same morals and standards that we expect of normal people. i w

blessed with good oral health!

well, i made it another 6 months with no cavities! i had a dentist appointment today. my second in six months, but prior to that, i don’t think i’d been in 4+ years. oops. i was much less nervous for this appointment than i was for the last one. last time i figured my luck had run out and because i’d been bad about seeing the dentist, this time i’d really ‘pay’ for it. but no. other than a little excessive scraping of tartar (4 years’ worth), everything was fine. around the time i turned 20, i pretty much assumed, every time i went to the dentist, that this was finally my time for a cavity. i mean, how long really, can one person go without ANY cavities? well, now i’m kind of over that and figure that maybe my teeth are just impenetrable or something. at any rate, every time the dentist comes in at the end of my cleaning, pokes around for a minute and tells me my teeth look great, i breathe a sigh of relief and feel tremendous gratitude for my good teeth. the no cavities thing is only