Skip to main content

my #1 use for old broken crayons

hi, my name is rachel, and I’m a mom.

if you’re a mom, chances are, you’ve encountered this:crayons_10

broken crayons.  it’s a fact of life and it’s annoying. well, sort of. there are actually dozens of uses for old broken crayons. today’s post will highlight just one of them.

you may have done this one before:ARRANGE-THE-BROKEN-CRAYONS-IN-A-MINI-MUFFIN-TIN

these are muffin crayons. you take an old muffin tin (I picked one up at a thrift store years ago and use it for this, paint, sorting other small crafty type things, etc. while good in theory, and popular among preschool teachers, I really find this lacking. here’s why. kids don’t like to color with muffin shaped crayons. first of all, younger kids, unless shown, have no idea what to do with them and will ignore them. if you tell them they’re crayons, they’ll try to hold the thing flat against the paper and rub back and forth. this is okay, for the experience, but once they’ve done that a few times, they put it back and are done with it. how do I know this? I have a set of muffin crayons that I made 4+ years ago. I had them in my classroom all year, and have had them in my house or my mom’s house ever since. they’re still there. they seldom get used.

so I wanted to find a way to make crayons that are more like ‘crayons’. I got really excited when I saw the ad on tv for the crayola crayon maker.91mQIHSODZL__AA1500_

it seemed like the perfect thing! until I learned that it cost like $40 and took forever to just make 4 crayons. wrong. I’m not that rich OR patient, and neither or my kids. and so the search continues.

I decided to just figure it out on my own. I wanted to use the muffin tin theory, but make long, skinny crayons, as opposed to flat, round ones. something like this:021

that was my first attempt. they turned out a little bit long, so I tried again the next day, this time with a shorter ‘mold’. what’s my mold?024

that’s right, foil. when you can’t find what you want, you make it. I carefully folded it in a modified accordion style, with flat bottoms, and high divisions. then I pushed in the ends of each section, trying to make them leak-proof. 032

meanwhile, layla was frantically peeling the wrappers off the broken crayons for me:026

sometimes, it’s fun to make your crayons all mixed up. I decided to keep like colors together and make relatively solid-colored crayons:023

I turned the oven on to bake at low heat (yes, I need to clean that):031

I didn’t trust the leak-proofness (yes, that’s a word because I say it is) of my molds, so I took a cake pan and lined it with foil. I suppose if you wanted to, you could designate an old pie tin or something for this, but I don’t happen to have one, and I want to be able to use my cake pan for cake again sometime.033

then I put it in the oven:034

it’s kinda fun to watch them start to melt… good thing I put them in the pan, my greens leaked a little. (excuse the crazy brightness of this picture – photographing foil is kinda hard to do, especially inside an oven.)042

when they’re completely melted, turn off the oven, and CAREFULLY take remove the pan. if you’ve used mixed colors, you shouldn’t do this because the slightest movement can make your colors mix and become all muddy. just turn off the oven and leave them alone until completely hardened.043

when they are completely cool and hard, you can carefully pop them out of the mold. this is where it’s awesome to have them in foil. way easier than a hard metal mold:   044

these turned out to be a much better size and shape than my original long ones:   046

but the real test:048

layla decided to use them on the warming tray, which just melted them again. but she used them to color this as well, so they seem to work pretty well!001

I’m thinking there’s got to be something out there that would be like what I did, but a less ‘disposable’ and rickety method than foil. I really haven’t looked. and honestly, considering I don’t plan on doing this very often (right now, because I’ve used up all the crayons in the house), unless I could find it for a dollar or two at a thrift store, I’d probably be unwilling to pay for it!

stay tuned for another use for broken crayons… just as soon as I can find some more!

Comments

you may like...

someone googled this stuff and found me!

these are as is... spelling errors and all. how to use a bathroom scale seriously? how hard is it? if you want step by step instructions, read this . washing machine doesn't empty bummer dude rachel's restroom i seem to remember someone predicting, when i was in high school, that i would go into the portable restroom business some day... "locks of love" site:blogspot.com because i'm totally the authority on that sort of thing. my hair is still in a ziplock bag waiting to be mailed. http://rambling-rachel.blogspot.com/ i think you typed this in the wrong place does 2 year old talk with imagination is there any other option? SLUDGE IN WORM BIN yummy. diapers to bed well, considering the other option... yes, please! imagination and 2 years old once again. 2 year olds do like to use their imaginations. loose change in my washing machine what priceless wisdom are you looking for here? how to get some? where did it come from? what to do with it? duh! rachel joe

“you should have your head examined!”

… i just did! yup, yesterday i had the thrilling experience of sitting in a hospital waiting room for 2 hours, followed by another in a trauma room.  no, i don’t think i had suffered any sort of major trauma – i think that’s just what room they had left to stick me in.  i mused about where we would go if they had to kick us out because a ‘real’ trauma situation arose.  thankfully, we didn’t have to learn the answer to that.  i guess i was a traumatic as it got during that window of time. backing up, i wound up in the hospital yesterday because micah threw some clothes on the ground.  the night before i had been folding laundry in the living room.  i had a couple of stacks of ‘hang up’ clothes that were draped over the baby gate in front of the fireplace.                         yes, it’s a christmas picture, but i knew i had it in my stash.  at any rate, there’s the ugly baby gate that the clothes were hanging on.  also notice the wood mantle above it that the nativity set is on. 

light n’ crisp waffles recipe - everyone's favorite!

i got this recipe from my dad. i have no idea where he got it, but these are the waffles i’ve been eating as long as i can remember. they are so delicious, easy, and HEALTHY! OHMYGOODNESS, i cannot help but go on and on about them because they are so incredibly fabulous! if you want to see my picky eaters eat, come on waffle night! i think last time I made these, layla (all 33 pounds of her) put away 4 quarters of a waffle. that’s one WHOLE 10 square inch waffle. (and yes, i did just pull out my waffle iron and measured it!) anyway, here it is, without further ado… 1 cup flour (I usually do 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat) 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal 1 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp baking powder* 1/2 tsp salt 2 eggs 1/2 cup oil 3 cups buttermilk put all dry ingredients into a bowl, break in the eggs, add oil, then stir in the buttermilk. *t he amount of baking powder is not an error, but is the secret of the crisp, tender result! let the batter stand for a short time (15-30 minutes) to allow t

white chicken chili recipe

was just chatting about recipes w/ a friend and realized that i have talked about this recipe, even photographed a bowl of it, but haven’t ever posted it on here. what a shame, because it’s one of my family’s absolute favorites! i got the recipe from my betty crocker cookbook, and it’s one of the first things i ever made for dave and i after we were married. i even have the date written down next to the recipe and a smiley face, indicating we liked it. =) i actually don’t mess with this recipe too much, so here goes… i usually make a double batch so i can freeze some and still have leftovers. it freezes really well, so it’s a nice thing to have on hand. 1/4 cup butter 1 large onion, chopped 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or pressed) 4 cups of cooked chicken (chopped, cubed, shredded, whatever – sometimes i just throw in a couple of the cans of chicken they sell in a 6 pack at costco, if i have them on hand and don’t have any cooked chicken handy) you could also use turkey 3 cup

tootin' my own horn! (for the sake of the earth)

so i'm not usually one to blab about how 'green' i am, but in honor of earth day tomorrow, i've decided to take a personal inventory of the choices i make daily that affect the future of our planet and the quality of our lives. i'm not usually an earth day celebrator since i try to treat every day as though it were earth day, and not just once a year. but i figured this was a good excuse. i've always walked a bit on the green side, but i really took a turn about a year and a half ago when i was influenced by raffi - yes, the children's musician - after reading his autobiography, life of a children's troubadour . this is, by the way, a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone who has ever enjoyed his music, or even remotely cares about children's or environmental advocacy. i don't want anyone to see this as any sort of snobbish, 'i am greener than you' kind of thing, but rather as a challenge to myself to see what else i can do,