Skip to main content

vacations stink… and why i can’t grocery shop

so tuesday, i managed to dig around in my hat a little more and discovered a rabbit named papa john.  essentially, i shuffled the week again, and had our friday pizza on tuesday.  and, in actuality it’s something that was going to happen anyway because we were so excited about having the new papa john’s open up, but realized that we were not going to be home on friday (date night!!!).  SO, that was my excuse.

anyway, yesterday, i finally HAD to go.  i had been wondering if it was really so bad, or if it was just one of those things that i was building up in my head as awful and making it worse and worse every time i procrastinated longer.

i had to head to redmond, so i figured i’d go to the bella bottega qfc, rather than my usual stop at safeway.  that was my first mistake.  no, actually, that was my last mistake.  the first was not doing it sooner, the second was taking all 3 kids with me.  if it is possible to make grocery shopping with 3 kids WORSE, i did by going to this store.  the whole fiasco took like an hour.  why, you ask?  allow me to enlighten you.

first of all, i was in a new store.  i’ve been there maybe twice ever, so i don’t know the layout, i don’t know what aisles contain what, i don’t have my mental ‘map’ of where i start and how i proceed to finish in the quickest possible time.  there was lots of back-tracking and circling as i realized that i’d missed an aisle, or had gone to one end of the store, but forgotten something on the list that was back at the other end.  ugh!

second, i had shane with me.  one would think that having a 9 year old with you would be easier than the 1 year old or the 3 year old.  NO!  there are a couple of reasons for this that i confirmed yesterday.  1) he’d rather be somewhere else. 2) he irritates layla, making her very unpleasant. 3) HE ASKS FOR STUFF!!!! oh, i hate this!  the reason feeds into this…

third, i’m pretty sure i have a little bit of ADD. i’ve never been diagnosed or anything, but it’s pretty obvious.  i’m scattered and flaky, every report card i ever brought home made some mention of day-dreaming and neglecting to complete my work, i forget stuff, yada yada yada… so a big store that i’m unfamiliar with, a kid on my back (who would grab things off the shelf behind me if i got too close to it, and then was unable to reach behind me to get it out of his hand), a kid in the cart (who was introducing herself and her brothers to EVERY shopper and employee we passed… not to mention had a notebook and pen with her and was showing me every little drawing she made and asking me every 5 seconds, “how do you make an ‘s’, how do you make a ‘u’”…) and another kid who kept asking “can we get some of this, do we need this, i like this, please mom can we get some of that…” and picking up every package of chicken and ground beef in the case while standing there… “shane, stop touching all of the chicken.” “but i like chicken.” “do you also like salmonella?”  all of this led to me being completely unable to concentrate or even read my list for that matter.  seriously, i would look at the paper, and see words on it, but they would just swirl around and around and i had to make a conscious effort to block out everything and purposefully read the words i had written, figure out what they meant, and to formulate a plan for how to find that item.  aaaggghhhhh!!!!!

i know that all the parenting books and experts and all that jazz say to involve your children in the shopping and it will make it a lot more pleasant for you, entertain/educate them, blah blah blah.  that seriously isn’t an option for me.  MAYBE if i had only 1 kid with me and only a few things on the list… but i have a hard enough time figuring out how i’m going to do it myself, let alone somehow delegate things to the kids. 

so anyway, we finally finished the shopping and i felt like i needed a drink!  but it’s done, and next week we’ll be back to our normal schedule and i can do it the way i usually do and it’ll be much less painful!

needless to say, i’m already dreading the summer.  i hate that.  i don’t want to be one of those parents who feels the need to sign her kids up for stuff all summer long, just to keep them from driving her crazy.  so somehow, between now and then i’ve got to figure out how to manage all these normal things that i’m used to doing w/ only 2 kids, with 3.  AND, how to make shane and layla get along.  they are just horrible!  gas and fire, i tell ya!  i mean, really, i’d like to somehow have shane experience a miraculous change of heart and start actually loving his sister and thus treating her like he does… but in the meantime, i just need him to STOP poking and kicking and irritating and bossing her around!  he’s never been a mean kid and it just kills me to see him being so mean to her. 

so… that got long.  i’ll shut up now.

Comments

  1. We just need to trade kids a few times a week during the summer...one day I'll take Shane and you take Austin...the other I'll take Layla and you take Sara...then they won't get sick of their siblings and can have a chance to be mean...I mean PLAY with someone else ;) HA HA At the very least drop Shane (and Layla if you want ;)) off before going grocery shopping!!! I usually go after bedtime here...THIS is why bedtime even in the summer is 8:00 at the LATEST! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone. I'm ok taking any 2 of my kids to the store with me, but I add that 3rd and thin gs just fall apart. But I'm lucky that Wes gets home from work by 3:30 usually, so I can put it off until he gets home and go all by myself. Or at worst, just with Mackenzie, who likes to grocery shop and actually doesn't bother my for things. Andplanning summer activities isn't just about keeping you sane, its about keeping him sane too. Older kids sometimes just need more stimulation than a mom with 2 younger kids can provide sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have just taken the time to sit and read and absorb your post Rachel! I totally get that grocery shopping is a mind blowing experience with kids! I dread it too and know that it is gonna cost me way more than it would normally cost on my own. I try and give my kids jobs, such as Jonathan go get me the cereal and I also do bribes ;D if everyone is a big help and well behaved then we can get a tub of iceceam or 'A' candy at the checkout! Am I bad mama? What ever keeps them alive eh! HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I'm dreading it for you. Grocery shopping before nap time is a killer for me. I end up buying them things to snack on and listen to them push each other and laugh until one of them gets hurt and they they are both screaming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

all comments are moderated. unkind comments will be deleted.

you may like...

books

so i have, what i’ve coined as, “book ADD”. basically, i love books. i love to read. i love the king county library system and their fabulous website. i love clicking the “place hold” button. i generally have upwards of 35 books checked out, a hold list a mile long, and a running ‘tab’ of fines for overdue books. but here’s the problem. i generally have so many books and i want to read them all, that i never wind up reading any of them. i’ll bring home a book, read a chapter or two, and then the next book on my list will come in. repeat. eventually, i will have read 2 chapters of a dozen or so books, they will be due to go back, and i’ll never get around to finishing them. ugh! well, i’m officially attempting to ‘kick that habit’. at my husband’s repeated suggestion, i’m learning to make use of the ‘freeze’ button on the library’s website. this enables you to keep your hold on the book, but not receive it until you want it. it just moves other people’s holds ahead of yours. this is

but i wanted beans!

i have discovered something amazing. until recently, layla would never eat green beans. well, she used to, and then a little more than a year or so ago, she started pulling them apart and eating the seeds out of them, leaving the rest. yeah, i know she's weird. then she quit eating them all together. she would just leave them on her plate. well, a couple fridays ago, we were having our pizza and beans and something prompted shane to pull these 'trainer' chopsticks out of the drawer. i've had them for a couple of years - i think i found them at a thrift store and thought they were cute and the kids could use them when we had chinese food. but we'd all kind of forgotten about them since we rarely eat chinese food (which makes me sad). so everyone got really excited about these and layla used them to eat every last one of her beans that night. dave and i exchanged some raised eyebrows as lightbulbs were illuminating above our heads. last night i made chicken sandwiches

what I wore wednesday

iiiiiiiiiiiiiit’s wednesday again!!! which means it’s time for me to brag about all of my incredibly well-thought out and likely expensive fashion endeavors prove to the world that I didn’t wear jammies all week. well, not all week… wednesday: tank: old navy, thrifted cardigan: handmedown jeans: thrifted flip flops: kohls earrings: target scarf: thrifted I was SO excited to find this scarf! it’s gorgeous! very silvery and shimmery, the blue flowers and so cute, AND it’s short! for somebody like me, who is of the not-so-tall persuasion, really long scarfs (or even standard length scarfs) can sometimes be a little overwhelming. you know? it’s like, “how many times can I wrap this thing around my neck before you can’t see my head anymore?” at any rate, this one is awesome and I love it and expect to see it on me a lot! I also found the process of trying to take a picture to be quite entertaining. I have a ‘people dog’, meaning, wherever her people are, that is where she th

Football!!!

so last night at 10, we got a pleasant surprise. a coworker texted dave and asked if he wanted 4 tickets to the seahawks game. after some quick thinking about who and where and how and all that, we got it sorted out and definitely accepted. so today after church, shane,my dad, myself and micah all experienced our first professional football game. (it was dave's second). if you're doing the math there, micah doesn't require a ticket which is why he got to go. layla was happily deposited with my mother for a nap and some 'school'. the first half of the game was great, but the second half got boring because the packers were the only ones doing anything exciting. micah napped through the whole second half - dave did too. well, not the whole second half, but parts for sure. shane decided that seahawks games weren't quite as exciting as he thought they were going to be (he's been lobbying to go to one for a while now), but it was a pretty good deal because he got

for my not-so-american friends

i didn't have an actual roll w/ the green plaid on it, but i found a refill and an empty roll in my junk drawer (yeah, i know, that should tell me something).  but even the empty one says 'scotch' on it.  there you go!  SCOTCH TAPE!